Leading Indicators

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by toc, Dec 3, 2006.

1. toc

toc

momentum is somewhat a leading indicator but many a times it leaves a big chunk in a strong trend. that's why more stops out with momentum than anyother imho.

#21     Dec 4, 2006
  2. restan

restan

Uncertain, if there was a predictive indicator that had been discovered, don't you think everyone would be using it?
    it would be the ''Holy Grail''. there are many esoteric trading systems such as neural networks, fibonacci numbers, Elliot waves, astral trading and Welles Wilder's Delta Phenomenon.
    none of them work! if you want a used copy of Wilder's book on
    the Delta Phenomenon, i'll sell it to you for 1/2 price. if you think
    you have a system, papertrade it to prove its value before
    wasting real money. if it works, let us all know!

#22     Dec 5, 2006
  3. The only thing that truely leads price is volume.
    Traders are either hitting the bid or hitting the ask.
    However volume is by no means a certain predictive since the efficiency of price movement is not known until after the fact.

If you are uncertain whether vol leads price then watch what happens to price when there are no trades passing through the exchange.

#23     Dec 5, 2006
  4. a5519

a5519

Most of them are macro economic or fundamental indicators and they certainly have predictive value. But 1) they are not for retail traders, there is no data service (Bloomberg is not data service for retail traders); 2) more as looking at the chart is needed to extract value.

#24     Dec 5, 2006
  5. restan

restan

Mark, you are mostly correct. fundamentals of the marketplace can be predictive if you know how to interpret them. if a company announces earnings soundly beating street estimates, you can count on a stock price rise, barring other negative factors. an eagerly awaited IPO will cause stock price to rise. award of a large contract will do the same. these events are not technical indicators, but if you can get in early on the trades, you will probably do better than trading off technicals.

#25     Dec 5, 2006
  6. Mark is very correct. Unless I am misreading him, what he is saying is not that "strong earnings lead price" (which they of course do) but rather that exogenous factors need to be considered to uncover true edges in the market. Too many traders try to data mine the OHLC charts to find a positive expectancy. True edges are found by considering the mechanics of the market from first principles (eg the time of the month at which institutional investors tend to buy into the market, seasonal factors, etc).

BTW - your prior comment on neural nets not working is very misguided. neural nets are a tool for building trading systems / uncovering edges. it's a bit like saying Excel or Tradestation doesn't work in the market. as with most software, it's what you do with the Neural Net that counts.

#26     Dec 5, 2006
  7. humble1

humble1

How about the crap indicator, does that one work?

#27     Dec 7, 2006
  8. restan

restan

Rhino, i have used an algorithmic trading system..it didn't work for profitability. would you tell me which neural network system works?

#28     Dec 7, 2006
  9. I don't trade stocks (I'm a futures trader) and the info I posted isn't all fundamentals:

* Other Key Markets
    * Market Seasonal Tendencies
    * Intraday Seasonal Tendencies
    * Key Economic Reports
    * Key Regular Schedule Market Events
    * Market Breadth Indices
    * Insider Information (illegal)

Of the above that is of economics...

* Key Economic Reports
    * Key Regular Schedule Market Events

Of the above that is fundamentals...

* Insider Information (illegal)

Yes, I do use technical analysis (chart analysis)...no indicators.

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=52880

However, if I don't understand the causes of the price action via any one of the above I mention...

Whatever I see on the chart isn't valid.

Simply, I don't let TA define the price action.

Mark

#29     Dec 7, 2006
  10. restan

restan

Mark, if you have been trading since 1980, you're an old-timer at the business and you undoubtedly have some valuable experience. in my own case, i have been trading sporadically since 1996 using mostly options. there are many things the market is supposed to do, like correct around May and again around late October. if you followed that myth this year, you missed out on a great bull rally during October. i have tried trading systems like Vector Vest and Indigo without good results. i don't know of any system that is much more successful in pre dicting stock price movement than flipping a coin. using the information you suggest should certainly improve your odds, hopefully for good results. again, i would ask you which neural networks system you think is best for trading?

#30     Dec 7, 2006