Le tour de France

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by acronym, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Lol, that probably why they need so many in the race!:D
    There was a german rider, tested high levels of testosterone-entirely innocuous, im sure:) The germans stopped the broadcast of that days stage in disgust.......bit extreme i thought, there were other german riders who didnt test positive.

#11     Jul 24, 2007
  2. Yes, Alexander Vinokourov of Kazakstan from Team Astana blood doped and is now out of the tour. Borat would be upset! This means he injected someone elses blood into him to pump him up full of extra hemo before his time trial win.

Rasmussen is from Denmark.

Interestingly, mountain bikers are beginning to own the Tour now that Lance is gone.

Rasmussen was busted for EPO in 2003 or 2004 on the World Cup MTB circuit. He switched to road because MTBers never forgive dope use.

Cadel Evans of Australia, a former silver medallist in the MTB worlds, and also the junior road time trial champion a few years back is another successful roadie who was once a MTBer. Cadel is in the top 3 of the tour currently.

Floyd Landis of the U.S also started out as a half decent MTBer in the Norba circuit, though he never dominated it nor did he do very well at the World Cup level. Apparently, Testosterone aside, he was a better road rider than an MTBer.

I'm going for CSC in this tour and think Valverdes team can make up alot of time in the team time trial. We'll see what happens. Plus they use Cervelo's , aside from Colnago's there isnt a better road bike out there.

#12     Jul 24, 2007
  3. What about that Mexican kid on the Discovery Team? He's in secomd place right now - Costado?

He had a better time trial than Rasmussen - by about 2 minutes I think, and follows Ras right now by 2:30 or so. Plus, he looked awesome in yesterday's climb - what acceleration !!

Tomorrow's climb will decide I think. If Costado can gain on Ras, I think he'll get him in the next time trial...

#13     Jul 24, 2007
  4. #14     Jul 25, 2007
  5. lore68

lore68

After tyesterday news, i am no longer sure about rasmussen.... perhaps he's going to win but who can tell if he's clean?????
    bad tour de france this year
    go contador go!

#15     Jul 25, 2007
  6. it's a another great Tour, amazing sites/sights of France via Outdoor Life Network
    lots of spills and recoveries, death-defying-downhills, great sprints, climbs I wouldn't
    want to walk up never mind bike up, the splits and breakaways, and dramas on dramas
    no other sporting event like it !

have to blame the 'East Germans' I think for doping, weren't they the 'first' to put their
    athletes on drug programs
    there's far more condemnation of drug use in the Tour than in baseball and football
    eliminating drug use won't change the Tour but will eliminate cheaters

#16     Jul 25, 2007
  7. sim03

sim03

No. That's more than a slight understatement. Bad Tour de France for the last 15-20 years, if not longer.

Professional cycling is, and has been for at least a generation, right up there with pro bodybuilding: an entertaining spectacle of drug-fed, pharmaceutically engineered, genetic freaks. The ends justify the means, period. What else is new under the sun?

Talent, skill, insanely hard work, total commitment and luck are still necessary, as always, but absolutely, laughably not sufficient to stay competitive at the top level of the sport, let alone have a shot at winning major races.

#17     Jul 25, 2007
  8. No it's perfectly understandable to throw tantrums. I'm sure you wouldn't like it if something like that happened to you..

#18     Jul 25, 2007
  9. #19     Jul 25, 2007
  10. well you had to wonder the way he flew up the last click of the Col d’Aubisque
    TdF should be testing these guys before the race begins and save themselves
    the repeating embarrassments

so you think Evans is clean ?

#20     Jul 26, 2007