LCDs vs CRTs and Eyestrain??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sterling, Jan 22, 2009.

1. With CRTs, running at lower than the max resolution generally inproves the image quality (at the expense of more info on the screen). However, with LCDs you should only run at the native (max) resolution. All other resolutions are interpolated and generally "fuzzier". If at the LCD's native resolution, your fonts are too small, go to Display Properties/Settings/Advanced/and bump up the DPI settings to 120 DPI.

Another area where LCDs have an advantage over CRTs is with ClearType text. Go to Display Properties/Appearance/Effects and check "Use the following method to smooth edges of screen fonts: and set it to ClearType.

Also for eystrain, for CRTs, I always preferred for charts a black background whereas for LCDs I prefer a white background.

#21     Jan 23, 2009
  2. I'm personally thinking of getting a 3M LCD Privacy & Anti-glare filter. It s'pose to work really well and also keep prying eyes out. It's definitely cheaper ($70) than those eyewears advocated by some of ya trading fashionistas.

#22     Jan 23, 2009
  3. RL8093

RL8093

Interesting. I tried this out & the fonts were dimmer on one type of LCD & fuzzier on another one.

R

#23     Jan 23, 2009
  4. As I wrote previously, I believe the biggest cause of computer eyestrain is having your vision focused too close for too long. If I wear my regular glasses (prescription -3.0) for myopia at the computer, my eyes are strained in less than an hour. If I wear a weaker myopic (-1.5) prescription, I can go for hours and hours without a problem looking at the computer.

http://www.allaboutvision.com/parents/children-computer-vision-syndrome.htm

Another thing you should check, is if you have your screen connected to a digital output (if available) instead of an analog output from your computer. If you're connected to the digital output, it's even more important to set your display resolution to whatever is the natural resolution of your lcd screen. Just look at the back of your monitor for the model nuimber and do a search on the net for what the natural resolution is:

http://reviews.cnet.com/1990-3174_7-5136369-1.html

#24     Jan 24, 2009