LCD vs LED

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by easymon1, May 11, 2011.

1. easymon1

easymon1

LCD or LED, which is easier on the eyes when used exclusively for charts? 24" size range

..."Rahul said on 03/19/2011: I have TFT LCD ViewSonic's VA1703wb. Recently I bought their new technology LED Eco Green range VA1931wma-LED. But I found my old TFT is better than new LED one. LCD is presenting soft color and brightness/contrast. But LED's contrast is very high. Feeling uncomfortable, even I switched color mode in sRGB. I don't think LED is good for Developer/Designer. Choice is your's....!!!!!"

Anyone with both?

2. High contrast should be a good thing. Low contrast would be like a faded old photograph. The colors and shades are just tuned down and there is nothing you can do. With high contrast, the colors should look more vivid.

I bought the Samsung LCD monitor (SyncMaster BWX and SWX series) because they have the highest contrast from what I looked at.

If you experience that contrast is too high to be comfortable, you can always tune it down via the monitor's hardware settings or in Windows.

3. We pay more for higher contrast but then we color the background grey and use black font.

Why do we pay more for greater contrast?

Contrast deteriorates the eyes.

For a TV I think we all agree that greater contrast is more desirable. But for a pc monitor we are better off with less contrast.

4. Most trading/charting software default to white background and dark color price curves. I can see that using this kind of default settings with bright monitors and high contrast would cause eye straints when one stares at the screen 7+ hours a day.

On all my charts, I set the default background as black and use primary colors (red/green/yellow/blue/etc) for price curves and indicators. Works great for me.

5. easymon1

easymon1

It's easy to select out the CRT as most obnoxious to the eyes in a lineup with CRT next to an LCD next to an LED. Optimally configured, are the other two a dead heat or is one maybe easier on the eyes than the other for watching charts?

6. jprad

jprad

You're a little confused on your technologies.

LCD in today's marketing use refers to the type of backlight used for the display panel. The previous technology was CCFL or cold cathode fluorescent light.

The problem with CCFL was that it puts out less light as it ages and, especially in low end panels, has unevenly lit areas. LCD is very bright, has little variance across the panel and it stays bright for a long time.

TFT is a type of LCD color panel technology. But, there are several different types. The best and most expensive are those that use IPS. Cheaper models use VA and the low-end consumer panels use TN.

7. easymon1

easymon1

Great Stuff, Thank you.
    Which - of today's technologies - would you say is easiest on the eyes when used exclusively for charts? 24" size range

8. i am running 3 22" LCD ViewSonic monitors they are pretty good for the buck can't complain.

9. easymon1

easymon1

Posted by
    RL8093
    "...TN panels ... distort when viewed at an angle, IPS panels don't.

When I switched from CRTs to flat panels years ago, I purchased IPS panels & didn't know it. A few years later, I added a 4th monitor (TN type) and now often wonder how anyone can trade with them for an extended period.

IPS panels are not much more expensive than TN - here's a list of currently-available IPS panels from various manufacturers."
    http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/s-ips-lcd-list.php

Thanks