LCD vs CRT for trading

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Farside, Feb 22, 2005.

1. gnome

gnome

Trying to recall from memory, you might want to check out the VP191s, as well. Specs are apparently faster than the 191b.

#11     Feb 25, 2005
  2. Farside

Farside

Thanks for all the info! It's interesting you bring up the VP191B, Viewsonic's site actually recommends that monitor for financial traders, whereas the VP192B is for gamers. I guess because of the better contrast ratio. Supposedly the Vp191B is going to have 8 ms response time in the new version, which should come out soon. Samsung came out with a 19" 8 ms recently, but it is analog only. Hyundai has one that is 8 ms with DVI, and it uses the Samsung panel. I'm more comfortable going with either Viewsonic or Dell; but the Dell worries me with a 20 ms response time. I am still on the fence about which model, but I will be going with an LCD.

#12     Feb 25, 2005
  3. BenQ 17" 500:1 contrast, 260cd/m sqd brightness, 12ms response time $349Cdn. 19" 16ms $499Cdn see FutureShop.ca

#13     Feb 26, 2005
  4. #14     Feb 26, 2005
  5. nkhoi

nkhoi

#15     Feb 26, 2005
  6. "You get what you pay for"

Well, this is clearly not always the case, you can overpay for an inferior product/service.

Any comments on whether there is that much difference in manufacturer for LCD monitors? I see the same competitiveness in flat screen televisions.

My understanding is that all of these monitors/televisions are manufactured in an outsourced manner by a few factories. This is the case with many other products.... clothing, food, tires, etc., etc., etc.

If this is the case, is there really that much of a difference in quality and performance? If the spec's and warranty are the same, why not select a slightly "less popular" brand? And one does not have to go with the cheapest/least well known, but perhaps somewhere in the middle...

In short, I am deciding on whether to upgrade my unmatched set of 2 CRT's and 2 LCD's with 21 gunner CRT's from UBid or bigger LCD's...

Thanks

#16     Jun 9, 2005
  7. ENZO

ENZO

Saw your post could you give us a picture of your setup, sounds cool?

#17     Jun 9, 2005
  8. ENZO

ENZO

I will not buy VIEWSONIC again, I purchased two 19" CRT's and they burned out in one year.

Recently I purchased two 21" Dell LCD's, they kick some A@##$

#18     Jun 9, 2005
  9. TGregg

TGregg

Man, I gotta get me a digi camera some day. It looks a lot like another guy who has 6 - 3 across and 3 on top, except mine aren't as well adjusted, there's more gaps. Plus I have a 21" on the side.

If anybody wants to send me a digi camera with postage back, I'd be happy to post a picture of my setup, and mail your camera with the pics back to you. If they live in Charlotte, just PM me - we can surely work out some sort of meeting place, provided you like beer. I might need some help with DLing pics to post here, but I am definately computer literate.

And now that summer's here, even this setup gets warm. One 21" CRT and 6 19" LCDs plus my computer and I have a fan that blows air on me in the summer. I can't imagine what it would be like with 6 more CRTs instead of my 6 LCDs.

As a matter of fact, I just came upstairs to review my trades, and I had to fire up the fan even tho my 21" CRT has been off since trading ended. Heat - it's everywhere.

#19     Jun 9, 2005
  10. yenzen

yenzen

I really dig Viewsonic. I have had probably a half dozen Viewsonic monitors over the past 3-4 years and never a problem (knock on wood). And until very recently, I couldnt justify buying the LCD's because the specs were not favorable (ie I like 1600x1200 res) on a cost to performance basis.

Senor Zen

#20     Jun 9, 2005