LCD Monitor Buying Help Needed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by no_agenda, May 21, 2003.

1. Ken_DTU

Ken_DTU

check the pixel burn-out warranty on samsung vs others .. eg what do they specifically consider a defective/returnable monitor vs not? I had problems w/samsung crts, don't know about the flat panels ..

me, I will only use viewsonic and sony monitors ..

#31     Jun 16, 2003
  2. MrDinky

MrDinky

You probably want this one instead... $525

http://www.legendmicro.com/store/more_info.asp?OpenTreeBranches=&Product_ID=2875&Category_ID=63

As far as the 191T, newegg is selling them for $659 + $0 shipping. Haven't bought monitors, but have had good experiences buying other stuff from them.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?description=24-001-030&refer=pricegrabber

:cool:

#32     Jun 16, 2003
  3. I ordered a 191T from NewEgg.com 2 weeks ago. It arrived in about 3-4 days. Liked it so much, ordered another 191T which should be here tomorrow :D

FastTrader

#33     Jun 16, 2003
  4. complex

complex

the manufacturers generally will not allow an lcd out into the marketplace with more than 8 burned out pixels. these may be a mix of different types of defects, either stuck on (white, red, green, or blue) or stuck off and thus black. any more than this and they junk it.

now, as for the retailers, they all have different policies. one retailer may allow you to return an lcd with one bad pixel (very rare). others may require 3 bad pixels, 5 bad pixels, or even 8 bad pixels.

the location and color of the pixel of course may make a big difference. one stuck black pixel along the edge probably wouldn't bother me.

if you have a stuck pixel, it actaully can be fixed! i've never done this, but i've read about it. you can gently massage the area around the pixel, in small circles, and sometimes it will force liquid into the area and the pixel will come alive.

complex

#34     Jun 16, 2003
  5. FinStat

FinStat

recently got a MAG Innovision 18'. good deal at best buy. no problems.

#35     Jun 17, 2003
  6. gms

gms

#36     Jun 17, 2003
  7. a5519

a5519

How can the be detected. Are there any tools ?

#37     Jun 17, 2003
  8. complex

complex

#38     Jun 17, 2003
  9. Yes. Your eyes. :D

#39     Jul 16, 2003
  10. TGregg

TGregg

One test is to sit in a very dark room and have an all white screen, and look for nonwhite pixels. Then test an all black screen and look for nonblack pixels.

#40     Jul 17, 2003