LCD Monitor Buying Help Needed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by no_agenda, May 21, 2003.

1. Does anybody know what the different letters stand for? I searched the Samsung website, but could not find anything definite. In the past I had only seen T's, but recently saw a 192N at my local Office Depot. Is a 192N better than a 191T?

#21     Jun 9, 2003
  2. gnome

gnome

I think the "N" is new in the US. It's the budget model with only an analog input. (The "T" has dual input, I believe)

#22     Jun 9, 2003
  3. Hungry,

The "N" models are analog-only, and cheaper than their digital cousins.

The "T" models are dual input, both analog and digital.

On the Samsung website you'll notice that they group the models into "LCD Analog" and "LCD Digital" sections.

So the V, S, N, and B models are Analog only; the P, T, and W models are digital/analog or possibly just Digital. Check the specs of the particular model you're looking at to be sure.

There are various debates as to whether or not Digital is that much better than analog for trading purposes, but the consensus on ET seems to be that the 191T is an awesome monitor.

My main concern is receiving a model with dead pixels, and to return it I think Samsung requires at least 8, count 'em, 8 dead pixels!

#23     Jun 9, 2003
  4. Ended up getting a Samsung 172N - 17 incher, analog.

It had good reviews and seemed fine for trading purposes. Also got a good deal - $100 off in rebates for a total of $379.

I figure if the picture isn't good enough and I want to go digital, I can let my wife use it and I'll just get a digital model.

Here's the link if anyone else is shopping:

http://www.jandr.com/JRProductPage....chant_Id=1&Section_Id=2034&Product_Id=3698985

Today is the last day to order for $50 of those rebates....

#25     Jun 14, 2003
  5. ZBEAR

ZBEAR

For 191 T's ......

pricewatch.com

Go to .... OUTPUT .... select MONITORS

then push the ...SEE BRANDS button

click on SAMSUNG

Starting around page # 27
    ..... there's a whole slew of 191 Ts ....... $ 650.oo Range.

Always mention PRICEWATCH when dealing with these companys
    ....... It DEFINITELY GETS YOU A BETTER PRICE.

#26     Jun 14, 2003
  6. #27     Jun 14, 2003
  7. complex

complex

as opposed to pricewatch, i would recommend www.ibuyer.net. i've found that a lot of the 'bottomfeeder' companies just cruise pricewatch, undercutting the other guys' lowest price, then get you with shipping, or some other random 'add-on cost'. the retailers on ibuyer.net seem to be a lot more reputable.

complex

#28     Jun 16, 2003
  8. speedy

speedy

I agree with avoiding pricewatch. I've gotten screwed by 2 vendors from there advertising cheap priced products that I ordered and received different items than what was ordered. When shipped back, they charged me handling and a 20% restocking fee. Phone calls were not returned either. BE CAREFUL.

#29     Jun 16, 2003
  9. If you're day trading and at the computer all day, you may want to consider the affect on your eyes now and further on down the road. Of course, a flat panel is better than a CRT, but a digital flat panel is better than an analog.
    I cut and paste now:

"Since CRT monitors require an analogue signal, video cards traditionally converted the computer’s digital information into an analogue signal. However, with the advent of digital LCD monitors this became unnecessary. LCD monitors that use the analogue 15 pin mini-D-sub (standard VGA monitor) connector are in effect turning a digital signal into analogue, then back into digital. As a result they suffer from phase jitter and need to be tweaked manually for the best result. All the LCD screens we looked at had 15-pin VGA connectors. Now that the Digital Display Working Group has ratified the DVI (Digital Video Interface) standard, DVI connectors are also becoming common. DVI allows the computer to deliver a digital signal directly to your monitor. This offers a much cleaner picture, but your video card must have a DVI output for this to work."

And,

"The analog format of the CRT is challenged by the digital capabilities of the LCD. And just as analog vs. digital still represents a battleground for audiophiles, so too does each technology have its proponents within the graphics community. But while many LCD monitors are configured to run in either analog or digital mode, it is only in digital where LCD monitors truly outshine CRTs."

And,

"An important detail to check when shopping for flat-panel displays is whether the interface is digital or analog. Since most computers are equipped to convert digital information to analog information for display on CRT monitors, LCD monitors have been built to convert the analog signal back to digital. This digital-to-analog-to-digital conversion results in some signal loss, and thus an imperfect picture. Choose a flat-panel monitor with a digital interface, if possible, though you will also need to purchase a special graphics adaptor."

And,

"Digital-ready video cards such as the nVidia GeForce4 and ATI Radeon will ensure that a digital LCD has enough support on the computer side. LCD flat panel monitors that will accept an analog signal may be more compatible with an older PC, but image quality will not be as crisp or accurate as a digital LCD image. With the added expense versus that of an analog CRT display, it is not cost efficient to compromise by using an LCD monitor and analog signals."

There are more articles, but suffice it to say, I chose the digital technology, even though it's a bit more, because I like my eyes. :cool: I have 2-17" Dell 1702FP digitals on an ATI Radeon VE and the video is superb!

#30     Jun 16, 2003