Launched High Frequency Automated Trading Blackbox

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by 2cents, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Please keep us updated. Would you mind sharing what instrument(s) you are trading ?

#11     Aug 9, 2007
  2. just G8 currency pairs for now

#12     Aug 9, 2007
  3. kewl...

It sounds like a well developed product. Would you mind telling us what surrounding services you use? Datafeed? Execution? Who's your prime broker? etc. etc.

Keep us updated.

:D :D :D

#13     Aug 9, 2007
  4. i'll be speechifying at the next TradeTech FX in HK, dec 3-4... swing by if your interested ;-) i may answer a few specific questions
    :cool:

#14     Aug 9, 2007
  5. rcfran

rcfran

What is the point of this thread??

#15     Aug 11, 2007

6. Congrats on the launch.

Did you code it yourself?

How does one begin the process of creating an automated HF trading system from scratch?

#16     Aug 11, 2007
  7. if you are not a programmer to start with, I think you will just find it too difficult. Start with a basic course in programming. I'd recommend Java not because it's the best language for teaching but because you can use it both for learning to program and later for implementing a system. I can well believe that it took the OP a year. Make no mistake about the amount of work involved.

I reckon a background in real time systems of some sort (eg data comms) or systems programming is an asset.

#17     Aug 11, 2007
  8. you could learn on the fly if you had a platform with auto-trading capability. but the suggestion on programming is a good one.

btw, what is a "black-box" .. "gray-box" ??

#18     Aug 11, 2007
  9. In terms of programming language, I learned Python and C# first. I've decided to take C# because I working under a Windows environment.

Now, I'm dealing with UNIX/Solaris/Windows environment and I'm turning around to learn Java. When I first did some research on which programming to learn, people mentioned about Java being slow. But I am satisfied with the recent surge in performance for Java.

Black Box = Fully automated system. No human intervention while on production phase.

Grey Box = Semi-automated systems. Human intervention considered models. The role of the human trader becomes a bit complicated, more-so it's about delegating a particular task(s) within "trading process" to a human and a computer.

----------------------------------
    On the side note:

I know 2cents out of ET, went out for a few drinks a while back... Nice guy. So I'm a bit biased with my posts... :p

#19     Aug 11, 2007
  10. Corey

Corey

TSGannGalt -- you ever used Java's Real-Time system? It is supposed to be great in performance critical threading systems! I haven't touched Java in a while, so I haven't gotten to play with it yet, but I hear good things.

I don't use a high frequency system, but I have been struggling with the differences between programmer cycles and system cycles. Back-testing 20 years of data in Ruby isn't too fast -- but it allows me to do some crazy rapid prototyping. Recently I have been using Ruby's built in distributed system with Amazon's EC2 and inline C ... but I wouldn't really recommend it for a production system. When I actually launch, I plan on rewriting everything in a more performance conscious language (which Ruby is notoriously known for NOT being -- I mean...it still has green threads! Hopefully Ruby 2.0 will fix that all).

By the way, C# is perfectly portable with the Mono system. I use it on my PowerBook.

#20     Aug 11, 2007