Latest time a trade today can be busted?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by seasideheights, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Sorry guys, I'm very naive. What kind of trade are y'all talking about that might be "busted?"

#11     Mar 22, 2007
  2. sprstpd

sprstpd

For example, here is the definition of a "clearly erroneous" trade as deemed by Nasdaq:

http://www.nasdaqtrader.com/trader/tradingservices/marketwatch/clearlyerroneousguide.pdf

So if you get a print on a stock that is outside these ranges and is an abnormality, the trade could later be reviewed and busted, i.e., the trade is nullified.

#12     Mar 22, 2007
  3. gaj

gaj

there's also a couple other exceptions:

someone places a huge size order and 'accidentally' does it. so the market goes down fast, in an orderly fashion, and they bitch and moan (they = large player) to the exchanges, and trades below a certain price get busted.

OR...

a random stock has a forged press release put out about it. stock tumbles hard. exchange busts trades below a certain price - so if you went long as it crashed, your 'long' is busted, but your 'sell' is not - meaning you're short a stock, and your profit is all gone.

i've had variants of the second happen to me (when a stock shot up, i shorted, covered, then my short was busted). i've had the first happen a few times as well...

#13     Mar 22, 2007