Latency problem from Europe to USA

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by billyfoe, Aug 26, 2010.

1. ZH8050

ZH8050

Interactivebrokers have a server in Zug, Switzerland to log in. Probably the broker with least latency for traders trading from Europe (my ping time: 30ms).

#11     Aug 27, 2010
  2. esmjb

esmjb

it would seem to me that your system freezing up would then be the problem and not latency.

#12     Aug 27, 2010
  3. JSSPMK

JSSPMK

It wasn't the workstation, it was software related or as they put it latency.

#13     Aug 27, 2010
  4. That´s a good one ! 30 ms ? Thats slooooowwwwwwwww.....

One company is marketing with the following introduction :

"We registered a 130 micro second order latency in the first benchmark run, and expect this figure to drop by another 40 micro seconds when the final platform specific tuning is done”...

#14     Aug 28, 2010
  5. If I am not wrong, Schneider is executing and clearing through GNI Touch ( now MF Global, MAN Financial ).

#15     Aug 28, 2010
  6. moarla

moarla

well the ping time depends from where you trade so if a broker has 1 microsecond ping time, from where to where????
    i trade from italy with IB and i have also about 30ms to the server in ZUG switzerland.
    and that is a perfect ping time for normal users.

#16     Aug 28, 2010
  7. Hoi

Hoi

I'm located in the Netherlands. And I have two IB-accounts. one on the USA-server, and one on the Europe-server. And I trade both accounts at the very same time in the same Symbols. It's very noticible that trading DAX, my orders through the Europe-server are executed before the USA-server orders (so for sure the Europe-server is much faster for DTB). On the other side: if I trade Globex products (ES, NQ, EUR), then the USA-server has a faster execution than my Europe-account.

So it makes sense to open an IB-account at the Server located near the Exchange you trade. (IB has an Asian-located Server as well).

#17     Aug 28, 2010
  8. Break down the components and associated latency.

#1. Price Feeds:
    CME Averages 8ms to process orders for indexes, 3ms for currenccy futures. These are averages and in fast moving markets typically > 10ms. So no matter where you are located your price feeds and T&S data will be approximately 10ms delayed.

Now add latency to deliver the feed to your computer. If in Tier 1 facility in Chicago your latency is <3ms. NY < 20ms, LA <60ms etc.

Computer Time to process the Tick Data in your application = Approx 10ms.

If your feed is aggregated and throttled like IB you will get maximum 6 updates per second. This introduces up to 150ms of broker delay.

Best case co-located scenario with direct CME access your price data will be delayed approx 10ms. IB pricing data delivered to Europe can lag 300+ ms.

#2. Order Processing.
    Multiple Steps:
    Computer Releasing Orders: sub 1ms
    Transmit to Broker: Approx 1/2 Ping times.
    Clear Credit Controls: Estimate 10ms
    Route Order to Exchange: Latency of Brokers' network to exchange

#3. Fills and clearing confirmations
    This is also a multiple step / Multi Hop process usually invisible to the user.
    Exchange - Broker - Clearing Server - Broker - User

If you really want to get an idea of your true latency:
    Time sequentially placing and canceling 100 orders.
    Wait for confirmation of the cancel before placing the next order

If you are co-located the best you will likely see is 1 second.
    In Europe probably 30 seconds or more.

All of this High Speed - High Frequency talk is relatively moot if you are placing limit orders that queue on the exchange order books. If you are placing market orders of any significant size it would make sense to process as close as possible to the exchange and your broker's execution servers.

#18     Aug 28, 2010
  9. Hoi

Hoi

Not true: Snapshotting (what IB is doing to transport quotes to its clients) doesn't introduce Lag (atleast not the amount of 150ms to 300ms you are talking about). It actually keeps speed constant at the same level (even during high volatile news breaks).

#19     Aug 28, 2010
  10. moarla

moarla

Europe 30sec. is totaly biullshit.
    the only difference from europe to USA for CME is the ping time from europe toUS broker - server and the way back (but the way back you cant count because all the work is done, you just get thew info for fill)

so if you count 1 sec for US customer, so add the 140ms ping time difference from Europe to USA and thats it.

#20     Aug 29, 2010