Latency: 3G/3.5G

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by risk1, Dec 17, 2009.

1. risk1

risk1

Hi

I wonder if any member here uses 3G or HSDPA (3.5G) as his/her principal internet connection for non-scalping trading (eg, with IB's iTWS)? If so, can he/she share his/her experience regarding the negative impact (if any) of the high latency of such wireless connections which seems to range between 250ms to 500ms in everyday usage?

Presumably, there would be a real performance difference between execution-only and a platform using many charts.

Thanks in advance.

2. hgocm

hgocm

I would not use the wireless card as your primary connection. As a back up will be fine.

Wireless, just like cable, is shared by multiple users. The bandwidth (a.k.a, spectrum) is fixed. If you are the only user accessing the network, you get the whole bandwidth. If ten users concurrently, you get 1/10 of the bandwidth.

Hope this helps.

3. if you are worried about latency don't use an aircard that can barely pull in quote data

4. Redneck

Redneck

OP

fwiw

I trade over one (3G connection) nearly every day – direct access, and run multiple charts

No issues, and never have exceeded my 5G monthly allotment - ~2 years and counting

I can not perceive any latency difference between my air card/laptop combo, and my dedicated desktop (IOW if there is a difference I can’t tell it)

Aside – I am relatively close to a cell tower – if that matters, but I've also traveled at times

Regards Sir

RN