Late rallies rouse suspicions CBS.MarketWatch.com

Discussion in 'Politics' started by harrytrader, Oct 25, 2003.

1. BTW also did you read this "Company attorney admits involvement of central banks in manipulating price of gold. "
    http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23780
    This is legal event you know...

#21     Oct 25, 2003
  2. white17

white17

harrytrader;

I believe "literacy" has only one "T"

#22     Oct 25, 2003
  3. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

You seem considerably more nervous than I do.

And there is no such word as "nervosity".

#23     Oct 25, 2003
  4. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

:D You have to wonder: if Harry is as great a trader as he likes to believe he is, why can't he afford a dictionary?

#24     Oct 25, 2003
  5. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

It's that time of year. What with events in Japan, earnings warnings, caution in guidance from such as MSFT, the fact that so many reports and releases are now made pre- and post-market, and that valuations are so high, this week should not have come as a surprise. Our meeting resistance may have had something to do with it, but an anti-chartist could find explanations in the news if he so desired.

#25     Oct 25, 2003
  6. Ken_DTU

Ken_DTU

good point dbp re news/earnings info out... esp. w/ tier 1 leads like msft etc, thx...

ken

#26     Oct 25, 2003
  7. ertrader1

ertrader1 Guest

I would have to agree that fridays rally was no more than a short covering spike. I was short, and man did i get covered, in all kinds of bids against me, lol. I got out on the first leg, i couldnt begin to think what my P&L would have looked like if i shorted the second spike up or held on to my shorts.

IMHO, we failed to break the 1015 mark. we attempt a few moves but could only get to 1016.25 as a low.

Also, the Sox was acting up, and it could not break 448.72.

Msft looked like it would flush midday, but it couldnt break lower near bond closing.

It appeared, in hindsight that we made a W bottom around 14:00 and once we got back up above 1021....around that area...shorts got nervous.

A classic shortcovering move. QCOM took off like a bat out of hell, that was my only long in that rally.

But, i dont think it was anything more more shortcovering.

#27     Oct 25, 2003
  8. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

It also helps to keep the Japanese notion of "3" in the back of your mind. It's not a lock, but keep it somewhere that it can be retrieved: 3 days down, 3 gaps down, and a Friday afternoon. What are the odds?

This "3" business, by the way, is the same dynamic as "waves" and the H&S pattern.

#28     Oct 25, 2003
  9. Pabst

Pabst

Fading 3 gap/directional days was a favorite Rich Dennis play. Doesn't occur as many times in futures as it does in individual stocks. I'd love to see some backtested data.

#29     Oct 25, 2003
  10. balda

balda

So harrytrader was that THE bottom?

MSFT was beat up pretty badly on friday. microsoft can drag whole sector down, technology goes down it will drag Nasdaq down, without Nasdaq there is no rally.
    just my opinion do not trade base on my opinion but I am wondering if it was the bottom or jut bounce.

#30     Oct 25, 2003