Lasik

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by damir00, Aug 21, 2004.

1. From reviewer Gaetan Lion :
    "In a nutshell, you can't just take off your glasses and see. This is giving you false hope. And, he should be sued for false advertisement."

LOL. It reminds me of those new age surgeries performed down in Cuba where the "doctor" removes the cancerous tissue without ever slicing you open.

Like I said in another thread, publishers will put out any piece of shit for a buck.

#11     Aug 25, 2004
  2. I'm near-sighted, therefore, I have to wear glasses for driving, watching TV and the like. I tried contacts about a dozen years ago, but it always felt like I had a bit of dust in my eye. Also, the glamor of regulary touching my eyeballs quickly wore off. Although the idea of not having to wear glasses is certainly appealing, I heard that laser surgery may degrade night vision. Has anyone here who had laser surgery noticed such a degrade?

#12     Sep 30, 2004
  3. davez

davez

Last time I looked into this, laser surgery made one eye perfect for distance, and another perfect for reading, so that most people will not have to wear glasses for routine daily activities.

But for very fine work (such as threading a needle), or sports where accurate depth perception is a must (tennis, baseball), glasses or contacts would still be needed.

Is that still the case? And in particular, for traders with multi-monitors, would glasses be needed so all monitors could be clearly seen without excessive sideways head movement?

Thanks
    davez

#13     Oct 1, 2005
  4. Lucrum

Lucrum

That's an option you don't necessarily have to opt for it.
    Depends on the individual but for most people probably not.
    I only use a single monitor but even though I don't have 20/20 uncorrected vision I don't need corrective lenses to view the screen. In fact I use my glasses so infrequently I'm not even sure where they are right now.

You may want to do a google search on correcting myopia. There are other options

#14     Oct 1, 2005
  5. jem

jem

I almost pulled the trigger last year.

this is what I learned.

As of last year the visx stuff while good is not the best. ladarvision samples at 4000 times per second instead of 60. And it users laser/radar instead of a camera for guidance.

Also a few doctors in each state can cut the flap with a laser instead of a microkeratome (small knife that vibrates) Interlase I think is the technology.

This new laser flap is cut like a man hole cover and goes a long way towards reducing night time vision problems.

If I were to do it, I am going to avoid the flap all togehter because my corneas are thin. I can still do the flap but I am a little to the thin side.

So I would have "elasik"done where they put some fluid in and move the epithelial layer to the side. Do the lasik with the best laser and let the epitheal layer grow back. It is more painful with a longer recovery time but safer.

#15     Oct 1, 2005
  6. davez

davez

Ok, but are the other options:
    1. both eyes good for reading, or
    2. both eyes good for distance
    which would then certainly require glasses for the option you didn't choose?

My understanding was they could only laser treat any one eye to be optimimum for one of those conditions, but not both. And so one eye good for longer distance and the other eye good for reading was by far the common choice (and apparently eliminated the need for glasses for 90% of routine activities) .

Then in theory one could need two sets of glasses - one set so both eyes could see at a longer distance, and a 2nd set so both eyes could see close up. But in practice, I could agree with you that probably most people would not get or need the glasses. Maybe a recreational tennis player would have good enough depth perception with only one longer distance eye, and one reading eye would be good enough to thread an occasional needle.

With multi-monitors, I have one set of glasses good only for about 2-1/2 feet. I was wondering, if I had one 'perfect' reading eye and one 'perfect' longer distance eye, if the monitors would be a touch blurry. But even then, after lasering, I suppose I could get a new set of glasses suitable for the monitors, and then not need glasses for most other activities, which would be an improvement.

It appears there are a few other options or variations of laser treatment since I last checked into this, so I guess some more research is in order

Thanks for your replies
    davez

#16     Oct 2, 2005
  7. Lucrum

Lucrum

I think when I had mine done one eye distance and one eye near was a popular choice. I opted for both eyes distant and at 44 YO I still don't require or show any signs of needing reading glasses any time soon. But again that's a very personal choice and I'm sure different people are going to have different results.

#17     Oct 2, 2005
  8. Had my eyes lasered almost 6 years ago. Cost 3k back then and that was with a 1k discount from a newspaper ad. :) Best money you will ever spend. I had worn contacts for around 20 years and each year my vision kept getting a little worse....by the time right before my surgery, without my contacts i could not count fingers from 6 feet away. When looking at the eye chart I couldnt not even see the big E on the chart. It just looked blank to me. When i had the surgery, i could see improvement right away. I also noticed that colors seemed alot more colorful. I think it took about 2 weeks then my vision stabalized at around 20/25. Probably took a month or 2 to stop seeing "halos" at night. But it was well worth it and i would do it again in a second

#18     Oct 2, 2005
  9. Dr. Dello Russo is the top Lasik guy in the tri-state area who does the eyes for alot of Yankees, Giants and Jets. looks like they really stepped up the safety since this thread began. i'm still not sure, tho.

--------------------------------------------

Study: LASIK Surpasses Contact Lens in Overall Long-term Safety

Tuesday October 17, 12:49 pm ET

NEW YORK, Oct. 17 /PRNewswire/ -- Dr. Joseph Dello Russo announced the results of a study that indicates for the first time that LASIK is safer than contact lenses. According to a study published in the Archives of Ophthalmology, October 2006 edition, researchers have confirmed that LASIK surgery as performed this year is safer than contact lens use. Sight threatening infections from contact lens use occur in 1 in 2,000 contact lens wearers, whereas the study confirms that only one in 10,000 patients risk significant vision loss due to complications from LASIK, making LASIK the safest elective procedure being performed today.

Dr. Joseph Dello Russo, a pioneer in laser vision who introduced laser vision correction to the area as one of the ten FDA test sites in 1990, has been convinced of this for some time. The risk of laser vision correction has been diminishing as technologies continue to evolve. In 2002, Dr. Dello Russo introduced the No Blade method, which dramatically decreased flap complication, making LASIK safer. In 2003, Dr. Jeffrey Dello Russo introduced Custom Cornea LASIK, which in addition to improving vision, proved to eliminate night glare, one of the early common complaints of LASIK patients.

continued

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/061017/nytu147.html?.v=70

#19     Oct 18, 2006