Laser Sucks!

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by VMTrader, Apr 18, 2007.

1. john12

john12

so this is a big problem. wonder why eric p not having quote issues even if using api?i've been down the road of slow quotes and stuck orders and inverted ecns were you can't get orders off and even if the commish is free its not worth it. if you don't have confidence in the system it screws your trading up

#41     Jun 20, 2007
  2. gkadir

gkadir

NO nothing guys just sheer frustration. Just can't belive they can't fix the basic of things like qoutes. It worries me if after hiring the so called programmers, servers they can't fix it.

It seems like there is more to it.
    Its going on for months......

They can't be bothered come here and update on whatever progress there is.....

#42     Jun 20, 2007
  3. Today it was just horrible.

Driving me crazy.

Same complaints as everyone else.

Whenever volume picks up the software falls apart. There must be a reason. Why cant they trouble shoot it.

I love the software and dont want to leave.

Please update us on whats going on and please fix this asap!

FRUSTRATED and tired of begging my group leader.

#43     Jun 20, 2007
  4. Ditto...very frustrating....

#44     Jun 20, 2007
  5. Beast84

Beast84

Are you guys sure that it is not your computer struggling to keep up with the quotes or thin bandwidth?

#45     Jun 21, 2007
  6. teddy

teddy

I'm trading Laser on a dedicated line.
    I've no problem with quotes.
    The Laser executions are also good as usual.

Because of large increase in quotes, I upgraded my computer with faster CPU and more memory - 2G.
    I also turn off the unncessary level II windows so my computer won't be caught up processing the data I don't care.
    My trading computer is super clean: no firewalls and anti-virus software (this eats up CPU), keeping only 2 level II, maybe 60 symbols for trading.
    Quotes are good and execution is excellent.

I'm wondering if your problems are due to the slow Internet and slow trading computer.
    Some Laser Internet traders I know told me that once they switched to a dedicated line, many problems disappeared.
    A hedge fund I know are also upgrading their trading computer because of large data volume.

The exchanges and ECNs are also having issues with data volume as well. They may also send out "bad" or "slow" quotes.

I always turn on the auto-correction so the bad quotes won't get locked or crossed.

I think you should keep a close eye on the CPU utilization. If it is consistently in the 50%, then your computer is too slow or too busy processing too may level 2 and too many symbols and other applications such as firewall, anti-viruses, etc..

#46     Jun 21, 2007
  7. What's a dedicated line cost?

I get all the problems mention in this thread and have a 3.2Ghz CPU, 2GB RAM, with 15% CPU utilization, and 3Mbps of bandwidth. Do you think it's my computer?

#47     Jun 21, 2007
  8. Doesn't it strike you as odd that all these guys across North America on different computers with different ISPs are experiencing the same problems? Or do you really think it's just their computers all of a sudden...

Warren

#48     Jun 22, 2007
  9. This issue about dedicated lines etc...ok...

But the real question is what has changed....

I use the same computer...same internet setup....and for many months...never an issue...

I have changed nothing....The changes have to be at the source....

#49     Jun 22, 2007
  10. wucah

wucah

Not to defend laser but there has been a huge volume increase in the last few months becasue of hybrid and reg nms. So it could be your connection. Check your CPU usage durning the spikes second get a software like netlimiter that can monitor actuall internet usage per connection. Then Check your speed on one of the websites and compare the two. It could be too that genesis bandwith is hitting limits. For example if they have 2 100mbs lines and 2000 users each one gets 100k(plenty enough) (100k*8=800kbits). Now assume they have 3000 users now and you need still need 100k or more becasuse of increased volume, you are screwed they will split the bandwith evenly so if you are on a no volume stock you are fine if you are on msft you are screwed. This is very simplistic explantion of bandwith usage please don't shoot me with bits bytes etc.

Hope that helps

#50     Jun 22, 2007