Laser Sucks!

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by VMTrader, Apr 18, 2007.

1. I couldn't agree more, and 3-4 years ago it would have mattered. Now every new shop on the street touts great rates.

It's a commodity business where the slightest edge sways customers. Genesis's "edge" (besides rates) used to be Laser (for some people, that is--others loathe it). Now they've appeared to lose that edge.

Mind you, like the gentleman above said, all platforms have bugs occasionally. The difference is, GOOD firms resolve them quickly, keep their users informed of resolutions, and continually add useful functionality.

P.S. Hats off to Genesis for adding release notes recently. It's been a long wait but they deserve credit for it.

#11     Apr 27, 2007
  2. trader1245

trader1245 Guest

Recently, Genesis has noticed issues with data in Laser – this is because of the recent huge bandwidth increase in the quote volume that affected the entire trading community.

The extra data volume especially affects Internet users because the ISP may or may not be able to handle such big volume.

We have found that Genesis' users with dedicated lines are not been affected as much.

However, Genesis is dedicated to provide our traders with the best weapons to help them win.

In order to provide the best and fastest technology and provide better service to our traders, Genesis has done the following:

1. Because of the increased data capacity needs, in the last few weeks, Genesis has added 60 more Dual-Quad Core servers to its data center that hosts over 300 servers.

We will be adding even more Dual Quad-Core Xeon servers in the coming weeks and month.

2. Genesis added a second 100 meg Internet bandwidth and that gives our traders a total internet bandwidth of 200 meg (a T1 is 1.5 meg).

3. Genesis is working with our technology partners to install a third fiber optic switch in our data center in the coming weeks.

4. Genesis is revamping many server and client software so it can handle the much increased data volume.

5. Genesis is adding 25 more programmers to its IT staff.

6. Genesis will be adding more features to Laser.

7. Genesis will be providing a turnkey working sample of the black box programs with source code to assist black box traders.

In executing all of the above, there will be unexpected problems.

Genesis is doing its best to keep that to its minimum.

All of the above are part of the growing pains.

We would like to thank the traders for their support, and we will do our best to provide you with the best technology to help you win.

We apologize for the inconveniences it has caused our traders.

Please let us know what we can do to improve.

Genesis is a trader’s company.

Thank you.

Genesis Management

#12     Apr 30, 2007
  3. Fractal

Fractal

Good business model, but can't believe the stops are still an issue. That's a pretty fundamental need.

#13     Apr 30, 2007

4. I second that, but would also like to commend Genesis on providing this much needed communication.

(I presume trader1245 is in fact a Genesis representative?)

If so, this public dialog demonstrates that Genesis does in fact care, and that's the first and most important thing.

Now back to Fractal's comment. hopefully all these new programming resources can provide us with stops that don't have all the disadvantages of the current version.

#14     Apr 30, 2007
  5. gkadir

gkadir

Brown,

What problems are you facing with laser stops?

Pls can you explain?

thx

#15     May 1, 2007
  6. #16     May 1, 2007
  7. gkadir

gkadir

Thx buddy for the quick reply

#17     May 1, 2007

8. Well first of all, thank you for taking the time to come on Elite and bring everyone up to date. This is very good news indeed. Hopefully the implementation will go as smoothly as possible.

You asked what Genesis can do to improve. First of all, when new features are added, release notes are a must. That little pop up box with a few blurbs when you log on to Laser simply isn't good enough. Somewhere on the site there needs to be a detailed explanation of what has been added and how to make proper use of it.

Secondly, Why bother letting users chat with admin on the chat box when admin never answers them? Case in point, six weeks ago I am in a hotel room in Prague. I take a long position pre-market then to my horror realize that I can't put out offers in any security. I message admin to inform them of this and get no response. 15 minutes go by and I again message admin asking them what I should do. Again no response. 40 minutes have now gone by and I am a tad perturbed. I again message admin and say something like ......... 'Come on man, I am sitting in a hotel room in Prague and I need to sell before I get clobbered, tell me something'....... Again no response. The problem is finally remedied 2 minutes after the opening bell and I sell for a loss when I could have made a nice profit had I been able to sell when I wanted to. If there is an explanation for this I would love to hear it.

When Laser is functioning properly it is clearly the best platform for an active trader, no other platform is even close. Hopefully we will get back the Laser of old before too long.

Red_ink_inc

#18     May 1, 2007
  9. More problems again today in Laser. Admin sends a message saying 'We are investigating a Crossed quote issue. Will advise.'

Needless to say they never advised.

Crossed quotes, Quotes not clearing and the level 2 refreshing frequently is a pain in the ass, this type of nonsense has to stop.

#19     May 1, 2007
  10. I second that. Laser was logging in and out first 30-45 minutes today and sometime during 2nd half of the day, quotes were seriously crossed in stock X. Laser has been anything but laser sharp lately. Please fix ASAP.

#20     May 1, 2007