Larry Williams arrested in Sydney for tax evasion

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by tomhaden, May 22, 2006.

1. Curtis/inflector,

Just curious. What is your overall take on Larry Williams? No doubt, you have formed an opinion over the years. Please be candid.

#41     May 24, 2006
  2. Arresting someone (and generating some publicity) is almost a no-lose situation for the Feds. Think of picking up a free option - there is no downside. What is Larry going to do, sue for false arrest??

Jumping to some other conclusion at this point demonstrates simple ignorance. Not surprisingly, that is much in abundance on ET ...

#42     May 24, 2006
  3. Oh, of course. Who in his right mind would ever question Larry's integrity or his true nature?

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=1007920&highlight=larry+williams#post1007920

http://www.pacificnet.net/~johnr/cgi/aesop1.cgi?4&TheScorpionandtheFrog

"Much in abundance" indeed.

#43     May 24, 2006
  4. ================

Hey Tdog;
    My post was actually more in line with Curtis Faith -inflector;
    the tone was simply looking at both sides of the Fed arrest.
    Not prejudging the case.

Sure, would admit to believing, especially [some of Larry Williams book research, which i have proved];
    niether Mr Faith nor I made ''a leap of faith over nasty reality ''here that I know of.

:cool:

#44     May 24, 2006
  5. Murray,

Perhaps my response was a bit pointed, and for that I apologize. However, your response of "Amen" was to a characterization that the news is equivalent to entertainment. Now, while this may certainly be the case more often than it should, it has been reported that Larry was arrested for "creating false documents and using multiple bank accounts to evade his huge tax bill."

http://www.financialdirector.co.uk/accountancyage/news/2156646/market-guru-facing-tax-evasion

That's a fairly straightforward and unvarnished accusation. I agree that the facts will indeed unfold in due course and that we should probably not rush to any unwarranted conclusions. (Perhaps I got a bit ahead of myself. That's OK, I'll wait.) However, I am truly amazed at how quickly some people will speak in his defense despite his "colorful" history. Such people willfully ignore, at their peril, glaringly questionable yet fairly consistent conduct over time, and choose to see only what they want to see. And they call themselves "traders." I suppose that on some level, I should be grateful.

#45     May 24, 2006
  6. Thunderdog,

I was pretty convinced after reading his promotional material over the years, and certainly after reading Gallagher's book, that he was one of the charlatan's that prey on the wannabe traders, selling them the elixer of life for a small fee.

Recently, however, more than one trader who I know personally and who I respect has said good things about Larry. They have called him a talented trader. They are also personal friends with him.

So I'm trying to keep my mind open about him and will reserve judgement until I get to meet him personally and can judge for myself.

- Curtis

#46     May 24, 2006
  7. Fair enough. Please keep us posted.

#47     May 24, 2006
  8. Stop dissing Mr Williams, you losers. He is in no way a snake oil vendor, let's see if you can trade live before an audience and make money, Got arrested by the IRS? SO WHAT ?

#48     May 24, 2006
  9. poor Larry

#49     May 24, 2006
  10. jem

jem

what exactly does larry do in front of the live audience. From what I have heard from attendees is is puts on a few trades in front of them and then trades out of them after the seminar is over. Giving some of the costs of the seminar back if there are profits. But it could all be funny money with funny exits. I will charge you 5000 and if my trades are good I will give you back 2000.

There is no denying he is an excellent marketing man.

#50     May 24, 2006