Largest volume European futures contracts

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by travelingtrader, Nov 28, 2005.

1. I was wondering if someone could tell me what the highest volume futures contracts are in Europe? And I am not just talking about Eurex but rather any contract traded on any exchange in Europe. I would assume DAX and bunds on Eurex are the biggest but I would appreciate it if someone could clarify this for me. Thank you.

2. Pabst

Pabst

The entire Euro yield curve as well as the Euro Stoxx 50, trades heavier volume than the DAX. The bund (10yr) is accompanied by the bobl (5yr) and shatz(2yr). At the LIFFE Euribor and the Sterling (3mo. U.K. rates) trades heavy volume. The FTSE and Matif's CAC-40 do ok volume but are dwarfed by the index vehicles on Eurex.

3. Just a warming about Eurex volume. From my experience trading the Schatz it seems that aa lot of the volume comes from trades negotiated over the phone and then report to the exchange. Many times my one lot order would be preference around and the chart would show a volume spike. The liquidity doesn't do you any good if your swimming in a different ocean.

4. Thanks for your response. So for a US futures trader that mainly trades S&P and bonds, what do you think is the best way to go in the European markets? Is Euro Stoxx 50 better to trade than the DAX? It is interesting because back in the US I only heard about DAX, no one talked abuot Euro Stoxx 50. As for fixed income are bunds the highest volume and most similar to US bond futures?

5. Pabst

Pabst

The bund has the volatility of ZB with the liquidity of ZN. Stoxx much more resembles an "American" type index trade than the Dax. Deep liquidity without much volatility. The Dax is like NQ was a few years ago. Thinnish (about 100k a day) with occasional monster (60-100pt) ranges.

Depends on your trading style. Are you still trading from the U.S? What's your timeframe? Scalp?

6. Thanks for your message. I am used to trading S&P and bonds. I guess you could call me an intraday swing trader. I hold anywhere from minutes to hours based on chart patterns. Definitely not a scalper. Based on this which markets do you recommend?

I am now living in Barcelona and plan to stay in Europe for at least a couple years. It would be nice to have the option to work in the morning/afternoon or the afternoon/evening.

How about you? What is your preferred trading style, time frame, and markets?

7. Pabst

Pabst

The bund resembles ZB and Stoxx the S&P. There's actually been enough volatility in the bobl for that contract to give you play.

I trade exclusively U.S. and although I was a local in the Bond pit I've trade mostly NQ, ES and YM electronically. I like being able to see the component stocks. Although I don't really scalp I do trade a lot probing and searching for direction. That gives the appearance of scalping but I'm really looking for a few points in ES or several in NQ. Commissions consequently have eaten me up. Back in '03 I was spending 10-30k a month which isn't much by some guys standards except I was trading 5 and 10 lots. That's the great thing about Eurex. Super low exchange fees.

I Wish I could just "pick my spots" but most times I have an opinion it's death.

8. You in Chicago? You know quite a lot about the European markets for someone in the US that trades US markets.

Can't you also look at the component stocks with Euro Stoxx and Dax? Well I imagine Chicago is a bad time zone for trading Eurex in any case.

My that is quite a commission bill! Your brokers must love you! Oh well as long as you got something that is working for you that is all that matters.