Large price spikes in pre-market SPY

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by pragmatic-trader, May 20, 2020.

1. Does anyone have these wild price spikes in their SPY chart, pre-market? It happened 9 minutes ago (around 8am EDT on Tuesday).

upload_2020-5-20_22-9-38.png

2. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

Hi pragmatic-trader, that picture looks like LS Trader. We checked a few other platforms with different data feeds and that sale was on them.

pragmatic-trader likes this.
  3. Thank you

4. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

This is Silexx that gets Data from another data provider than LST.

upload_2020-5-20_8-22-1.png

5. S2007S

S2007S

I wonder what the count now is on all these spikes in the s&p going into the open this past decade alone..... Its in the multiple hundreds!! Imagine a market that opened flat each day then eventually found its footing going into the day....nope futures already price you out on equities by 3-5% on days like today. Unless you literally buy every close hoping for that early day huge up opening.

I could imagine how it was to trade 40-50 years ago when there was probably zero volatility...

6. traider

traider

it's just delayed time sales data. thanks to modern hft n dark pools you have all this nonsense data.

guru likes this.
  7. Is there a way to filter out this pre-market noise from the charts (i.e. just include real time flow from the main venues like NSQD, ARCA, etc)? It seems like it's just noise and makes it more difficult to interpret the chart.

8. traider

traider

just look at futures equivalent.
    for spy look at ES
    no bull shit and almost 24/5

9. Yeah I do that but I don't want to pay $100 for a live data service. Using www.investing.com is ok but the chart quality is not good (unless you know of a better, cheap charting package for live ES data?). TradingView is delayed by 15 minutes

I'm mostly happy with just watching SPY and assume it's not possible to filter out these random pre-market spikes due to off market trades. So no problems.

10. traider

traider

most brokers will have cheap futures data.

#10     May 20, 2020