Large Arks Being Built In South America??

Discussion in 'Trading' started by marketsurfer, Apr 18, 2011.

1. I presume boats would be wired to underwater fiber.

Let's assume latency from (A, NYC) to (B, London) is 6ms.

You're trading a stock and monitoring PriceA and PriceB.

If you're only trading on one exchange or the other, I think you're right about there being no benefit. You'd make your trading decision 3ms faster than anyone at either exchange, but it would still take 3ms for your order to reach the exchange.

However, if you need to trade on both exchanges, the midpoint is the best place to make your decisions. Also should be a good place for an exchange itself if they want to suck volume from the geographically disparate ones.

I believe once an exchange is set up in the ocean, though, and takes any significant volume, that all the normal exchanges will just cluster together and consolidate. Just seems more trustworthy to me.

Though, sometimes I think my orders are lost in the Bermuda Triangle already..

#21     Apr 18, 2011
  2. Art Bell was better at doomsday than Alex Jones could ever be!:D

#22     Apr 18, 2011
  3. #23     Apr 18, 2011
  4. Crispy

Crispy

Nobody on this board was alive when mkts were free of regulations.

Please do elaborate on your statement.

#24     Apr 18, 2011
  5. It's only a matter of time before these Arks face stiff competition from DeepBore Networks.

#25     Apr 18, 2011

6. Hahaha, great April fools joke!

#26     Apr 18, 2011
  7. This must be a joke!

Nonetheless, if it happens I'm in!

Those South Americans are crazy. That is a very creative way to make money though. They're basically screwing their governments out of any taxes on incomes gained through trading.

If it happens I wonder how governments would deal with it.

#27     Apr 18, 2011
  8. Pekelo

Pekelo

The article said they are arbing the small price differences between 2 or more exchanges. So there is no advantage with 2 exchanges, but if we have 3, I assume the ship can be anywhere in the triangle made by those 3 exchanges and that would give an advantage over another trader, who is not in the triangle.

I don't really see how they arb 3 exchanges, you only need a price difference in 2...

#28     Apr 18, 2011
  9. My buddy was thinking of buying a trouler and doing the O'Hare spread does that count? :p

#29     Apr 18, 2011