Lara Logan Talks About Being Attacked in Cairo

Discussion in 'Politics' started by olias, Apr 28, 2011.

1. olias

olias

By Elspeth Reeve 04:15 PM ET

CBS News correspondent Lara Logan describes the brutal sexual assault she suffered in Cairo's Tahrir Square as involving 200 to 300 men who "raped me with their hands." Logan's interview with The New York Times' Brian Stelter is the first time she's spoken about the February 11 assault. During the 40-minute attack, Logan thought she was going to die. "What really struck me was how merciless they were," Logan says. "They really enjoyed my pain and suffering. It incited them to more violence."

Many journalists are injured while covering war zones, but female reporters face the unique threat of sexual violence, one that's rarely spoken about. Logan wants to change that. She says she feels "fortunate" she didn't have to "carry the burden alone" after CBS News put out a brief statement four days after the attack. "There's a code of silence about it that I think is in Lara's interest and in our interest to break,” Jeff Fager, the chairman of CBS News, says.

As the CBS crew was standing in Tahrir Sqaure, their Egyptian coworkers heard men talking about assaulting Logan. "Our local people with us said, 'We've gotta get out of here.' That was literally the moment the mob set on me," she says. Her coworkers and bodyguard were unable to pull her away. Eventually, Egyptian soldiers and civilians saved her. Logan will talk at greater length about the assault on 60 Minutes. After that, she's done with it. "I don't want this to define me," she says.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/global/2011/04/lara-logan-talks-about-cairo-rape/37153/

2. olias

olias

I love her attitude here. First, in coming forward and discussing it. Most people would feel embarrassed and/or ashamed to talk about it, but that is illogical.

Also love her quote ' I don't want this to define me'. Sucks that she went through this, but she does not need to carry this around with her for the rest of her life. Or play the victim, like so many people do.

'oh, my wife cheated on me....' or 'My father never loved me'....you know that shit that people carry around with them for the rest of their lives and they let it define them.

This lady sounds pretty kickass to me

3. Hmm. "Raped me with their hands." kinda sounds like an ATS pat down...