laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by osho67, Jan 3, 2013.

1. I also bought a thinkpad T430 last year and use it as a server at home. When I am not at home I use a ultraportable to check on it using TeamViewer which is a great software (and free).

#11     Jan 4, 2013
  2. zdreg

zdreg

what does it mean to be a server?

#12     Jan 4, 2013
  3. to run some home grown stuff through tws. I use teamviwer to monitor it and to take action if necessary.

#13     Jan 4, 2013
  4. zdreg

zdreg

i see. but please explain word server to someone who is unfamiliar with it in the way you are using it. tia.

#14     Jan 4, 2013
  5. ofthomas

ofthomas

expensive little server... :) ... also T430 is the fatter brother of the T430s.. :) ....

my algo strats stuff I run out of net@ccess ... DL DL120G7 with VMWare ESX... so I partition the server as needed depending what software I need to run for the strategies... since i am in IT I do have more servers at home on my rack, but maintaining stable network is hard to do in the burbs...

#15     Jan 4, 2013
  6. Google for the Sony tech support ratings before buying their laptop - it's at the very bottom. You're alright as long as the laptop works but prepare for a world of pain if it breaks.

#16     Jan 4, 2013
  7. sammybea

sammybea

Agreed.. but have had a few vaio Z's without issues. The latest z (just in my opinion) is the best lap on the market for trading purposes. Power, reliability, size, weight, battery life, the ability to support multiple monitors, etc, etc , etc.... But you will pay for it. Double the price of many laptops. And like you said, no real support.

I bought 2 extra Z's because the rumor is they will discontinue it. Collecting dust for now..

#17     Jan 4, 2013
  8. If they discontinue it, there will be less or even no support for it in the future.

#18     Jan 7, 2013
  9. Trader13

Trader13

The only requirement you have which is really not widely available is onsite repair. For home consumers, I believe Dell is the only vendor that offers onsite support through their network of local service partners.

#19     Jan 10, 2013
  10. I believe HP and lenovo/thinkpads also offer next day onsite service as well.

#20     Jan 10, 2013