laptop without dedicated graphics card ok for trading?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ER9, Jan 7, 2006.

1. mrtwo

mrtwo

I dont think anyone needs dedicated or hardware-accelerated video cards for trading. All you need is an screen with decent resolution. Anything over 1280 x 1024 will do.

#21     Jan 10, 2006
  2. ER9

ER9

well that was what i was trying to confirm. iv'e never used a laptop with trading software, and very limited experience using them in general. all my desktops have been high end machines so no real benchmark for comparison.

i'm trying to avoid or help others avoid spending $700+ on something that will be a detriment or completelly useless for trading.

#22     Jan 10, 2006
  3. What if you wanted to run an additional monitor at times? Would you need a dedicated card?

#23     Jan 10, 2006
  4. mrtwo

mrtwo

No, most cards support that. Just to make something clear, all video cards are 'dedicated' hardware. The difference is that some cards have dedicated video memory while some use the system memory as its framebuffer.

The only reason you would want a video card with dedicate video memory is 3D/Multimedia performance :)

I just would like to note that both NVidia and ATI have great multi-monitor management software. AFAIK, all NVidia cards have dedicated video memory. ATI have both implementations.

I hope that helps,
    MrTwo

#24     Jan 10, 2006