laptop without dedicated graphics card ok for trading?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ER9, Jan 7, 2006.

1. ER9

ER9

i was considering trading from a laptop using verizon's wireless broadband.

thing i was wondering is if a laptop (2 gig cpu) that uses the cpu to render the graphics has enough power to run eSignal and interactive brokers software without a hicup or if i really need a laptop with a dedicated graphics card?

2. ER9
    What kind of laptop are u planning to buy and how much does it cost
    I am looking to buy one to and may need it in the future for remot trading i guess

3. mrtwo

mrtwo

Hi there,

I dont think you need to be concerned about graphics performance, unless the laptop is at more than 2 years old :)

Why dont you post the specs for the machine and I will review it with you?

Peace,
    MrTwo

4. ER9

ER9

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834115318

well i was looking at this one. i was trying not to spend too much money and this one looks like a decent deal although i would definatelly invest in another 256Mb stick of memory.

it would strictlly be a notebook for remote trading...no multitasking or running other programs while it was being used.

5. mrtwo

mrtwo

The only problem I can see is the screen resolution :(

With just 1024x768 you might find urself struggling to fit everything in the screen.

What is your current trading setup? (monitor count, resolution, etc)

6. ER9

ER9

lol...didn't notice that. i doubt i could fit my daily charts on that resolution....

screenshot shows my daily layout without IB's TWS at the top 2 inches of screen. all on 1280x1024 screen, x 17" monitor.

7. dedicated graphics cards are intended to be used to run games, and real 3d applications.

it wont be a factor in what you do.

however, a non-dedicated card share its memory with the main system memory. my suggestion is for you to add more memory. if you have 512-1gig you should be okay.

8. ER9

ER9

thanks for the suggestion. i was just looking at memory and an x-tra gig is just over $100, pretty cheap. guess im more worried about the screen resolution now than the gfx card...lol...

9. mrtwo

mrtwo

Yeah, it would be quite hard to work at 1024x768 :D

I have a Dell Laptop with a 1680x1050 LCD and I find quite confortable to work on it when I need to. I paid about 1000 dollars for it on Ebay about 12 months ago :)

10. ER9

ER9

well much thanks everyone for your input. mrtwo thanks for pointing that out. i never thought about screen resolution as a factor but obviouslly it will be a big factor. looks like i'm gonna have to pony up a bit more money for bit better laptop with higher resolution.

ER

#10     Jan 7, 2006