Laptop which can run external WQXGA

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blotto, May 4, 2013.

1. Blotto

Blotto

My trading is taking me international soon, and I'll be working out of hotels for a 6-9 month period.

I'm looking for a laptop which can drive a 2560x1600 external display for my charts, and with at least a 1920x1080 display built in for my order entry.

The external monitor can be driven by dual link DVI-D or by Display Port. Some of the laptops I've seen cannot drive the external at full resolution and the main display.

I'd like to keep the weight and bulk down if possible, as I already need a whole seperate case for the monitor. (http://www.casesbypelican.com/1690-30-lcdmonitor.htm)

Battery life not relevant as I'll be plugged in nearly all the time.

I don't need much more than dual core / 2GB to run my trading software. SSD preferred (or even something which can boot off a 16GB flash card/USB thumb to save on weight).

If anyone knows a vendor who offer 17" laptops with 1920x1200 (ideal) or 1920x1080 (acceptable) and the ability to also drive a WQXGA I'd appreciate a link. Also, for those who have used "desktop replacement" type laptops any advice on overheating? Should I go for one of those fan driven cooling bases also? I'll be running the unit 10+ hours per day.

Thanks.