Laptop turns on but nothing on the screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DT3, Aug 11, 2010.

1. DT3

DT3

Dell sent me a refurbished XPS 1645 to replace my old laptop. Every thing was working well for the past two months but this week it stopped working. By stop working I mean it turns on, the keyboard seems to function (I can turn on and off the caps lock button) but I see nothing on the screen. Totally black.

Anyone seen anything like this before, any ideas what I can do to fix this?

2. Shift f8 toggles between laptop display and crt monitor maybe it got switched off.

You might plug in a monitor and use the computer, sometimes the display dies. Did the display get very dim but still works a little?

I remember seeing used monitors at the Goodwill Store for about $ 10.

3. DT3

DT3

Already tried hooking up an external monitor, nothing doing.

The screen doesn't turn on at all totally black.

4. nkhoi

nkhoi

hold the power button down until it is totally power off then turn it on if not seeing anything chance is your screen is dead.

5. trendy

trendy

Does it sound like its booting up? HD light on and flashing like normal? If not, it sounds more like a bad MB. Had that happen to me on a Dell 1720. Bought a MB on Ebay and replaced it myself.

6. schizo

schizo

If you don't even see the "DELL" logo as it boots, you probably need to have the BIOS re-flashed.

Did you by chance mess around with CMOS?

7. DT3

DT3

It def. looks like normal when turning it on, all the lights flash etc.

No I don't even see the Dell logo when starting it up, didn't mess with any settings.

8. pspr

pspr

Call Dell. Don't they give you at least 90 days on the refurb?

9. DT3

DT3

Called them they said warranty had already expired and if I want them to fix its gonna cost me $400+.

How do I go about rebooting the bios?

10. schizo

schizo

<s>If the warranty is still good, just send it back for a free repair.</s> It sounds like the problem is related to a defective BIOS (or MOBO, which is usually due to fried BIOS anyway).

If your warranty ran out, you could try flashing the BIOS from a floppy or CD.

BTW, as a former DELL user, let me suggest that you never buy DELL again. I've owned many computers and, by far, DELL is the worst. My preference is with either Toshiba or Gateway laptops.

Good luck!

#10     Aug 11, 2010