Laptop resolution support

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jho, Jun 14, 2007.

1. jho

jho

I'm looking into buying a laptop for all my non trading related apps/files. I would like to use the external VGA to connect to my center 24"(1920x1200) screen. I talked to tech support from HP and they said they didn't carry a laptop that would support 1920x1200.

So my question is, are there any affordable laptops out there that would support 1920x1200 through an onboard video card? Or will I have to buy an some sort of external device? Thanks.

2. nkhoi

nkhoi

I use a Dell with the 15.4" 1920x1200 screen. I LOVE it.

However... this screen has a very high pixel density. A typical desktop LCD will run usually about 85-100 DPI. This screen runs nearly 150 DPI. That means, per square inch, there's 225% as many pixels as a desktop display.

You should have good eyes, and you should expect to sit closer to this screen than most others. The compensation is that it can display a TON of information in a small package. :) It's probably something you should try before you buy, if possible, because some people strongly dislike extremely high density displays. Brad Wilson [MSFT]
    Saturday, April 16, 2005
    -on the NET

3. macbook pro 17" has 1920x1200, just install windows on it and ur set for trading.

4. gnome

gnome

Dell has a 17" notebook with UXGA, for about $900

5. jho

jho

Thanks for the responses guys. This laptop will be for general use and won't need to be a workhorse so I don't wanna spend a ton.

gnome, isn't it WUXGA for 1920x1200? Dell seems to list it as Widescreen UXGA, I assume they mean it supports 1920x1200 then? Because UXGA is 1600x1200.