Laptop overheating - what to do?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by brownsfan019, Apr 19, 2008.

1. dc101

dc101

brownsfan019, check whether the fan is running. If yes, then it's most likely dust that collects around CPU - you have to take it to a service shop that's certified for that brand so they can take it apart and clean. That's recommended once a year for each laptop. Should be around $50-60. Do not try to take apart yourself for it's not worth it - each laptop is different and you'd need manufacturer's schematics to see where the screws are, how to dismantle display, etc.
    Don't forget to share the experience once you're done. Good luck.

#11     Apr 20, 2008
  2. I think your laptop is toast. I had the exact same problem with a Gateway laptop 3 years ago.

It overheated and and kept crashing and then died. I brought it to a very good repair place (I 've been to for other problems) and they told me to throw it away, the CPU had melted and it was not salvagable.

No more Gateway laptops for me. I use a Lenovo now which is a corporate users choice in laptops.

I've come to expect about 2.5 years use out of my laptop at most. Call it planned obsolescence.

#13     Apr 20, 2008
  3. Thanks DG.

Up to this point, the Gateway as served it's purpose so we'll just run up to MicroCenter or BBY if we need to.

#14     Apr 20, 2008

4. Probably a good idea, since apparently you're way too lazy to even attempt a rudimentary internet search.

Older gateway laptops using the Pentium CPU have a known heat-sink problem.

http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread22862.html

I have several Gateway products including a laptop I purchased 5 years ago. Works fine, I still use it.

( btw, I've found most tech support people at places like best buy to be complete idiots. They have only one solution to all the problems...."buy a new one")

#15     Apr 20, 2008
  5. As my first post stated there retard, I WAS ON GOOGLE.

And ended up all over the place.

So, I came here where there are so many friendly assholes like you.

:D

Some people around here have a real hard time with actually reading before posting.

Since apparently you are too lazy to attempt even to read the first post of the thread, here's a link to the beginning of the thread so you can read for yourself: http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=125236

What a lazy jerk this joker is.

:eek:

#16     Apr 20, 2008