Laptop overheating - what to do?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by brownsfan019, Apr 19, 2008.

1. My girlfriend's laptop this past week started shutting itself down with no warning. Today I finally had time to look at it and after running for maybe 5 minutes, the bottom of the thing was very hot - in particular, where the fan is located. I unscrewed the cover and used some compressed air to clean, but no luck.

I am all over google, but thought with our tech guys/gals here someone might be able to suggest what to do.

First, what can I do here before taking to a shop?

Second, if it is the fan, what should that cost to replace for parts and labor?

Third, if I can't fix on my own, is it even worth spending the money to repair?

The laptop is a Gateway. Here's a link to the product page.

Thanks!

2. Hi browns;

Take a deep breath and read this GateWay FAQ...
    http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/SHARED/WarmSolo.shtml

then, tell us if any of this applies or is something you need to look in to

As for a (browns)fan, it's simple stuff to replace. You said you cleaned out the dust, but do you know if the fan is actually working/spinning when the laptop is running?

A fan will be less than $25. A local laptop shop will probably charge either side of $100 to replace it. Again, it is simple to replace yourself if you're so inclined -- IF the fan is indeed the problem. Not to be confused with power supply.

Osorico

3. You can also purchase what are called "Laptop Fans".
    They are like a docking-station that the laptop sits on top off and there are a couple of fans that blow air back up through the laptop.

But Osorico makes some good suggestions.
    Follow those first, and see what happens!
    :)

4. The fan runs when the computer is on. It actually can get loud when the heat gets serious.

I'll take a look at the link, thanks!!

5. I have a Targus one. $30. Works great!

[​IMG]

6. or maybe fork over 4 k for a good laptop in the first place

7. It's probably collected a bunch of dust. If you want to fix it, Google the instructions to take it apart and of course put it back together.

Then, if you’re comfortable with doing it, take it apart, completely apart, you will likely find the heat syncs on the motherboard all clogged up, clean them all out with compressed air, and put it back together.

Warning: Don't do this if you’re not comfortable with the procedure, you could end up with a mess.

8. I ended up with a laptop that doesn't fit back together properly. Pain in the ass...

9. Thanks for the suggestion. Next time we go shopping for a laptop that is used for very basic use, I'll be sure to keep this in mind.

:confused:

I did not say this was MY trading machine there smarty. This is a laptop used for email, games and Office. That's about it. The machine is just fine.

I have 6 computers that I use and this is one of them. To spend $4k on a laptop for casual use is just flat out stupid.

10. My laptop had an overheating problem, and was solved by placing a book or something similar under the front of the machine, hence lifting it and minimising the heat issue. May be worth a try ...

#10     Apr 20, 2008