Laptop/notebook PC recommendations anyone?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ken_DTU, Jan 11, 2004.

1. Ken_DTU

Ken_DTU

thx, that sidecar accessory looks interesting for multimonitor from laptop...

true nitro re multi output for 2 monitors ... looks like it's natively supported from the compaq x1000 I got ..

Anyone know where to find a "video hub" for multiple same-monitor-view output? eg I have a single display, I want to mirror it on 4+ other monitors, driven from the vga output of the laptop?
    couldn't find anything via google search ..

also, anyone ever try wireless internet from a laptop, eg w/t-mobile? does it work, with minimal data loss/lags?

ken

#31     Jan 19, 2004
  2. I used the SprintPCS 3G wireless w/the Novatel Merlin C201 card -- it worked well in major metro areas, but nowhere near the claimed speeds. I averaged something around 40kbps.

I will add that many times I would have a strong connection and the modem would be non-responsive, as though the network was denying "calls" from my modem.

I traded quite a bit from the wireless card, on the train, airports, etc... nice for redundancy at the home office as well. $100/month for unlimited use, no MB restrictions thru Sprint's biz account. If it had been a bit more reliable I'd likely still be a subscriber.

I hear that Verizon has a better network.

arb.

#32     Jan 19, 2004
  3. #33     Jan 20, 2004
  4. I would like a 4pounder with WUXGA, wireless built in and possibly either the AMD 64bit or the P4 HT processors..

oh, BTW, anyone know of any 64bit laptops on the new AMD mobile chip?

#34     Jan 20, 2004
  5. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

The most bang for the buck seems to be Hewlett Packard Pavilion ZX5000 Notebook.....Nice big screen too. I have a Compaq Presario 1700T that is an oldie but goodie. I also have a HP Pavilion ZE5000 that is great....I have all the upgrades in both. I got the HP the last time because it was far less expensive for the same guts as the Compaq and Toshiba.:)

#35     Jan 20, 2004

6. ThinkPad’s have been the standard since Windows. When you get XP, make sure it is XP pro. ThinkPad’s are business machines not fashion toys.

Once you use ThinkPad’s you are unlikely to switch.

[​IMG]You can get good prices at "IBM authorized sale of ThinkPads on eBay's," Web site.

-ooO-(GoldTrader)-Ooo-
    Haleiwa 96712

#36     Jan 20, 2004
  7. I've gone to several of the links in this thread, and I appreciate the help on considering the multimonitor options.

Like every other laptop-notebook out there, there are countless
    options and configurations available for the Thinkpad.

Which one of the Thinkpads, at a decent price, do you recommend for trading?

Is there a minimum of RAM -128, 256, 512? Should you max out the RAM? Do you need the highest processor speed to really make a difference for software and charting, etc?

Are there some features that you should have for a more efficient trading experience? Screen size?

Thanks again for the help.

#37     Jan 20, 2004
  8. nitro

nitro

IMHO, for the money the Thinkpads are at best average and there are way better machines out there.

nitro

#38     Jan 21, 2004
  9. YYNOTT

YYNOTT

I read that you were a programmer so I am assuming you have an insight as to why the THINKPAD is better than other laptops. Please share any critical details.

I have had just about every laptop out there, they all are just about the same as reliability is concerned.

One marked difference to me is Customer Service. When your Laptop takes a crap it's good to know the vendor will stand by their product.

#39     Jan 21, 2004
  10. >Which one of the ThinkPad’s, at a decent price, do you recommend for trading? <

The IBM factory outlet at ThinkPads changes there offers every day. Some are only up for 24 hours. So just, pull them up when you are ready, and take the plunge. The least of these ThinkPad’s is better than the best just a few years ago.

The most important thing to me is the weight. I buy Laptops by the pound. The more mobile you are the lighter it should be. The trays on airplanes are pretty small. So, when you fly you want them light. I use them on in libraries, on trains, and wireless in motor homes.

>Should you max out the RAM? <

The general rule is to "always Max out Ram."

>Do you need the highest processor speed to really make a difference for software and charting, etc?<

For years, the limitation I run into is my connections to the Web, not the processor. Any machine the factory is currently selling new will be fast enough.

>Are there some features that you should have for a more efficient trading experience? <

Swedish Masseuse and more RAM
    [​IMG]

>Screen size? <

Depends on portability more than anything.

>Nitro >IMHO, for the money, the ThinkPad’s are at best average and there are much better machines out there. <

There is adequate then there is excessive.

Done a lot of wireless, we have 24x7 wireless café’s on Maui, and all over the mainland. San Francisco has a roof top wireless, as well as on commuter trains. Works great, fast, no noticeable lags or data loss. If you lose signal because you are on the move. Well its loss signal what are you going to do.

I thought everybody was on wireless by now. I have been on for years. You can get a router down near Restaurant Row for less than $100.00 that will cover 256 laptops with multiple operating systems, Apple, Unix, and Windows.

>YYNOTT >why the THINKPAD is better than other laptops. <

There are a ton of magazine articles and awards out there that will verify.

>, they all are just about the same as reliability is concerned. <

Pretty much the same inside don’t you think.
    [​IMG]XP is a buggy addition to Win2000. So, while you were OK in Win2000. Something had to be done in case you could not boot XP home.

Now ThinkPad’s hold restore in the Bios. Even when XP crashes so bad that you cannot boot it. ThinkPad’s can restore it. So pretty much, you will not need a vendor for software problems anymore.

About two ThinkPad’s ago my machine was physically smashed, on my way home. IBM’s turnaround time was something like 24 hours. They Air shipped it back to where we were staying in the jungle.

The only other problem I have had with ThinkPad’s is theft. IBM offers insurance against theft for about 10% a year. You give them the police report number and they give you a new one. Nothing they can do about the lost data in that case.

Because of frequent Tune-Ups I don’t remember having any trouble the last few years. The ThinkPad’s I recommend come with a three-year factory warrantee on the ebay ThinkPads “Buy Now,” website.

#40     Jan 21, 2004