Laptop/notebook PC recommendations anyone?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ken_DTU, Jan 11, 2004.

1. Good point. I've been watching the price of this thing for almost six months now for fun and if anything, it has been going up. They seem to be increasing their profit margins.

#11     Jan 12, 2004
  2. mark1

mark1 Guest

I never had a problem of overheating on my 2 laptops

1)sony vaio mod. pcg93bl , Amd Athlon 1ghz , 256 mb ram
    2)acer travelmate 250 , P4 2.5 ghz, 256 mb ram

They are always on ( I reset them once a week).

I run Esignal(with 8 charts opened, and 200 symbols scanned realtime), WealthLab (for trading automation ),on the Acer.

IB tws, a couple of chat rooms, Autotrader (for scalping futures), and 3 web pages (for news and info), on the Sony.

They are networked and both have an external 17" lcd monitor.

With this "configuration" the acer on average uses 15-20% of his cpu, the sony 10-15%, never had a problem of low memory during trading hours.

As a frequent traveller I'm very happy with this Hardware, andhonestly I think I wouldn't go back to Desktops.

excuse my English

#12     Jan 12, 2004
  3. a) do you travel with both laptops and the associated router/hub and so forth?

b) the external monitors, do they show something other than what is on the laptop screen?, as in a dual monitor scenario?

c) what other websites/discussion boards do you participate/recommend?

#13     Jan 13, 2004
  4. mark1

mark1 Guest

a) yes i do, all this stuff fits in a special bag (practically a double laptop-bag), I can carry it on the plane as a handbag.
    you need an external hub only if you need to connect more than 2 pcs, or you need a different ip address for each one of them.

They have both an internal ethernet card, thus you can network them just with one cable and share an internet connection.

b) They have both graphic cards with dual monit cap., so you can use up to 4 monitors or if you need more , you can buy a pmcs card to add another monitor (2 slots on each pc).

c) I always check routinely these web sites:

1)http://mam.econoday.com/calendar/US/EN/New_York/year/2004/month/01/day/13/daily/index.html to know main econ. events of the day

2)yahoo for earnings, split etc

3) http://www2.marketwatch.com/news/newsfinder/default.asp?doctype=-2&scid=0&siteid=mktw for stock news (it's not as fast and complete as a service you have to pay for, anyway i'm not a news player, so it's good enough to me)

4)http://screening.nasdaq.com/heatmaps/heatmap_pmi.asp
    this is a nice java to see the movers on pmkt of nasdaq 100 stocks

I chat in #IndexFutures on Financhalchat IRC server, just to kill time and have a bit of fun during the day ,anyway you can find a dozen of very good traders there.

Another forum i like is this http://www.trade2win.co.uk/

good trading

#14     Jan 13, 2004
  5. Luto

Luto

Mark1

Nice setup. I think the heat problem I am experince is directly related to TradeStation and its CPU intensive nature. It is a real hog. My Trade order entry machine is fine in CPU and Heat.

Cheers!

#15     Jan 13, 2004
  6. abogdan

abogdan

I use sony vaio model pcg93

I run eSignal, my real-time app. with IB API, IB interface and TC at the same time. Works great!

#16     Jan 13, 2004
  7. Ken_DTU

Ken_DTU

Excellent comments all, many thanks for the ideas ... should be helpful.

Any ideas on how to get a parallel multi video output? eg at a seminar, I'd like to have the laptop generate the video signal output for a main LCD projector plus run 5-6 simultaneous video outputs to flat panel monitors around the room, all w/same output ...

is there a simply multivideo splitter type of thing, or would the signal from a single laptop not be strong enough to produce the (same mirror) images on 5-6 monitors? thx, for any who know the tech details ..

-ken

#17     Jan 14, 2004
  8. nitro

nitro

Go to a CompUSA. Ask what device they use to connect several monitors to one computer. If they aren't very forthcoming, just follow the cable to the box and read the manufacturer. You can't take it from there.

It is important that you get the right box. For example, the one they use at a Microcenter near by is horrible. CompUSA, at least the one near me, does it correctly, and the display degrades only minimally.

nitro

#18     Jan 14, 2004
  9. Hi. I am looking at a Toshiba satellite notebook and was hoping to connect an external monitor to it and have 2 screens so I can put charts on 1 screen and order entry on the laptop screen. The guys at Best buy and circui city said that if I connect an external 17" I would see what is in the notebook's screen-which is a dupe. I always thought that windows 2000 and above have multi monitor capability. I explained to the guy that my desktop has win 2K and can plug 3 single cards and have 3 screens act a a huge desktop.He says that is only possible in desktops.

Anyone here think differently? Thanks in advance.

#19     Jan 14, 2004
  10. Luto

Luto

Dual Monitor support is in Win XP. I would think it is in Win2K since it has been around since Win98 and exposed in the UI in various forms since then.

In the XP display properties one just has to check the "extend my Win desktop..." check box

Cheers

#20     Jan 14, 2004