Laptop multi-monitors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by themickey, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Sorry I read the whole thread rather quickly. My mind was occupied by all the talks about docstations and triple head monsters. LOL :D

So... OP... do whatever Xspurt said!

#11     Apr 7, 2013
  2. JamesL

JamesL

3. Do you need to change anything in your settings to run a mon off of aUSB/VGA adaptor ?

#13     Apr 8, 2013
  4. You should have a driver disc with the adapter and then it is PnP. All you need is to set it up in properties

#14     Apr 8, 2013
  5. themickey

themickey

Great feedback.
    The reason for the additional 3rd monitor (I currently just have my laptop screen + a monitor running off VGA Port) is for coding work.
    When coding I need to see my code window + charts + another screen for pop up windows and odds and bobs. ATM, working off only 2 screens is difficult, especially as the coding window is quite large.

I'm not requiring the additional monitor for trading and if it were, would not be a hassle as I'm not into frequent intraday trading, mostly I'm longer term, hold for several days.

As an aside I actually run 4 laptops + 4 additional monitors off the VGA's, but only one of the laptops is for coding. The other 3 laptops are Trading (no testing, just pure trading), Internet/emails plus another runs Amibroker.

#15     Apr 8, 2013
  6. Truff

Truff

One suggestion i have is you will need to put in a more powerful power supply if running additional monitors otherwise you can do damage to your hard drive. Standard power supply units aren't strong enough to handle the additional video cards/monitors. I learned that first hand.

#16     Apr 8, 2013
  7. I am scratching my head. This is a discussion on a laptop. Why would an additional graphic card and a more powerful power supply come in to the picture?

#17     Apr 8, 2013
  8. Truff

Truff

Because your laptop's power suppl is made to handle the laptop and an additional monitor, NOT an external video card to expand to 3 monitors therefore you need an more powerful power supply or you are going to toast your hard drive

#18     Apr 8, 2013
  9. Where does your external video "card" plug into on the laptop? Want some clarifications. Any specific make/model?

#19     Apr 8, 2013