Laptop multi-monitors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by themickey, Apr 7, 2013.

1. themickey

themickey

I'm wishing to fit 2 additional monitors to my ASUS K53S laptop.
    http://www.asus.com.au/Notebooks/Versatile_Performance/K53SV/#specifications

It has 1 x RJ-45 Lan Port, 1 x HDMI Port, 1 x USB 2.0 Port, 2 x USB 3.0 Ports and 1 x VGA port/Mini D-sub 15-pin.
    Operating System = Win 7 Premium.

I have Samsung 23" monitors with 1 x VGA and 1 x HDMI, 1920 x 1080 resolution
    I also have BENQ 19" monitors with 1 x VGA and 1 x DVI port, 1280 x 1024 resolution

What suggestions are there for running two additional monitors on my laptop where I can run different applications on each monitor.

When looking at docking stations on internet, detail seems too brief for me to make an informed decision.
    I suppose I prefer something (docking station or whatever) which has two VGA ports.
    Every docking station I find on internet only has 1 x VGA port but claim to run multi monitors, am I missing something?
    Thx

2. easymon1

easymon1

3. ofthomas

ofthomas

4. Your 2nd monitor should run now from the VGA port. It's plug and play. Shut down, plug the monitor in, reboot, right click and go into properties to add monitor 2.

A USB to VGA adapter is dead cheap and will run your 3rd monitor off your USB port. No additional graphics cards required.

5. Been using Matrox TripleHead2Go for 4 years without glitches, very good product that allows you to hook up 3 mons to your laptop.

6. themickey

themickey

7. ofthomas

ofthomas

8. There is no need to buy a docstation.

Your built-in VGA or HDMI can take care of your Samsung 23" monitor as a second screen.

Buy a USB-to-VGA adapter, plug it in to a USB port and you can have your third screen.

9. Now why didn't I think of that? :D

10. Just be aware that not using a video card is using the system resources. Running one monitor off a USB adaptor works great for most trading applications but is will be slightly slower than the monitor running off the mobo. You probably won't notice.

I have a Matrox Triple Head and unfortunately didn't find it stable despite checking I had the latest drivers.

#10     Apr 7, 2013