Laptop Issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by syd697, Jun 23, 2009.

1. syd697

syd697

Hoping someone knowledgeable about computers may be able to shed some light on my laptop problem.

Seems that my laptop screen is almost completely blacked out but the laptop is still running. I can just barely make out my programs in the background but can't figure out why.

Is there a lightbulb in the screen that might have burned out? I've checked the brightness function and that is not the problem.

Any advice/help is very appreciated.

2. no more warranty i guess?

what brand?

are you runnig maybe on battery's only or
    connected to the net ?

3. My old laptop did that also - your backlite is dead - to repair it will be a whole laptop lid (more expensive that a laptop usually). Mine was a Dell - the replacement part was about $450 (new laptop was about $750. can you plug a monitor into the side of the laptop? only way round it unless it is still under the manufacture warranty.

4. jb88

jb88

For a Dell laptop, just attach an external monitor, hold down Fn key and hit the F8 key to switch the video signal.

5. syd697

syd697

Thanks for the replies so far.

It is a Dell and the warranty has certainly expired. I am running on the outlet so it is not a battery issue. Good call on the external monitor, as I guess I can hook it up that way for now. Probably time for a new laptop.

Thanks again everyone.

6. JA_LDP

JA_LDP

sounds like your backlight went out. call dell and they can ship you a new backlight for about $60-$80 (cost depends on the model). it is a long, very thin fluorescent lamp. You can then replace it yourself by googling for instructions, or take it to any computer repair shop to do it for you.

it will not cost you hundreds of dollars unless the actual lcd is defective. if that's the case, you are better off buying a new one.

7. DannoXYZ

DannoXYZ

8. syd697

syd697

Just reviving this thread. Seems it is the inverter board on my Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop that is causing the screed to be blacked out. I guess the inverter board runs the backlite?

Anyway, opinions on how easy/cost effective it is to replace this part and have it fixed?

Also, where should I look to have it fixed? Geek Squad? Local computer store?

Thanks again for any help.

9. a dell 6000 isnt worth fixing. get a new one.

10. Opra

Opra

I once had an inverter problem with my Dell 600m laptop. And I fixed it myself.

For you, if you have someone fixed it, the labor charge probably will amount to $200. Inverter itself costs about $50. I don't remember exactly what I paid for it, as I ordered it on e-bay, and it took some returns and exchanges, so I ended up paying abot $250 for inverter and a brand new LCD. So if you need to replace the screen and inverter, then parts and labor total would amount to the price of a new laptop, so it will not be worth the trouble.

So I suggest you purchase a inverter and try to replace it yourself. You can do a google search on how to replace inverter on laptop and can find video links.

Good luck.

#10     Jul 25, 2009