Laptop Good Buy or not

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gekko2020, May 15, 2020.

1. RockNar

RockNar

I recommend a good processor intel core i7-9700k or up. If you are running multiple programs & software. And a good graphic card following, If you are running 1080p monitors you don't need the latest releases a Nivida a 1080Ti would max it out. 1440+ would be better suited for the latest graphic cards.

And depending on your network connection preference if you want wireless wifi connection make sure your motherboard has Wi-Fi capability otherwise you will be stuck with a standard ethernet connection or have to buy a Wi-Fi adaptor.

#11     May 15, 2020
  2. Depends on what you want to do with your computer.
    Do you need portability? If yes, buy a laptop. If no, buy a desktop.

#12     May 15, 2020
    vic38 likes this.
  3. I say its a good deal i paid half for a dell with half the specs and its serving well i even connect it to 3 monitors wheh iam travelling

double check battery life if thats important for u

#13     May 16, 2020
  4. apdxyk

apdxyk

It would an overkill for my needs, and will pump your [possibly daisy-chaned via DisplyPort] 27" monitors without breaking a sweat. 32GB of RAM will definitely help you on many occasions. it's a cheap gamer yet a great trader IMO

#14     May 16, 2020
    Gekko2020 likes this.
  5. Diegorsy

Diegorsy

I also now wondered about buying a laptop. At the moment I work for a PC and trade from it too. I use two monitors to process information quickly. But I want to find a light and powerful laptop so I can travel and work. I read about how much a laptop should weigh. Some models of powerful laptops are very heavy. But if I don't need a gaming graphics card, can I find a lightweight laptop?

#15     Feb 23, 2022
  6. easymon1

easymon1

#16     Mar 6, 2022
    TrailerParkTed likes this.
  7. deaddog

deaddog

How heavy is too heavy?

#17     Mar 6, 2022
  8. sammybea

sammybea

If you really aren't interested in gaming, VAIO is lightweight and reliable computers for trading purposes. (2.4 pounds for the 14 inch and 2.0 pounds for the 12.5 inch.) They are pricey, but sometimes they come on sale during the holidays.

#18     Mar 6, 2022
  9. Handle123

Handle123

I use to buy newest/fastest....buy Dell from Walmarts now.

#19     Mar 6, 2022
  10. Bad_Badness

Bad_Badness

If you are just doing chart-manual trading, then the low end GPU is slight overkill. A built in GPU from a new chip will be plenty. So for that machine you are spending on a dedicated GPU you don't need.

Also plenty or too much RAM and certainly not enough SSD. SSD should be 512 or 256 Gb. That does not seem like a well balanced system regardless of what one would use it for. Bad for games, not balanced for business.

I would go gen 12 chip, intel, 512 gen 4 SSD, 16Gb- 24Gb ram, integrated GPU, or a 3060 or 3070 GPU, if you need GPU power.

Also laptops should have good build quality, unlike desktops, swapping parts is not that economical or easy. It is common to have a bargain laptop, go belly up. I would recommend business class machines not the casual consumer machines that die in 24-36 months. A good machine should last 5-7 years flawlessly. Some guys are using 10 year old desktop machines just fine. Check out the MSI Prestige series. High build quality and good balance of parts.

#20     Mar 7, 2022