LAPTOP deals, anyone buying one lately, what are you using for trading

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Copernicus, Jun 5, 2005.

1. nlslax

nlslax

Been in the market myself lately for a laptop. Was told the P4 was preferable to the M chip for multi tasking. M/Centrino was preferable for battery life.

Looking to hook up to 2 additional monitors. Need a recommendation for the correct video card.

17 or 15.4 inch screen? Been looking at Toshiba and HP.

Thanks.

#11     Jun 5, 2005
  2. in the process of buying a sager 17". ive read alot of reviews in laptop magazines that rated the sager extremely well.
    www.sagernotebook.com of course all the laptops are made by two or three tiwan companies and sager is one of them.

#12     Jun 5, 2005
  3. da-net

da-net

I have used Fujitsu laptops for a few years, in fact I still have one that I take when traveling to get emails etc. I have used Dell, Toshiba, Gateway and others but reliability was always an issue that is until I went Fujitsu. Maybe I am too rough on them. Before going to this laptop I always used multi processor intel desktops for trading. If this laptop works as good as I hope I may purchase a multi processor AMD 64 desktop for trading and take this one with me when traveling.

#13     Jun 6, 2005
  4. i wouldn't recommend it

#14     Jun 6, 2005
  5. fader

fader

i got a dell inspiron 6000 last week, refurbished from their outlet - Celeron M 1.3Ghz, 512MB ram, including cdrw/dvd and wireless card - $599 for the unit plus $50 shipping plus $50 tax - the processor speed has never been an issue for me, i used a P2 laptop w/Ensign and IB/Java and traded fine from that, so imo any recent chip is fine and fast enough - my last pc had 256ram and that was enough, this one uses around 250-300MB of ram with Ensign/IB/Zerolinetrader loaded (on win xp home), i unintstalled a couple of pre-installed dell and non-dell non-essentiall apps - note i am a futures trader, i do not scan/scroll through thousands of stocks/charts, i typically have only a couple of charts running - also, this one has a 15.4 widescreen but i use an external 19monitor - i tried the 17inch HP ZD7000 laptop and the fan was very noisy but this one is very quiet.. - $700 all in seemed a good price to me (i also went with a refurb because i needed it immediately, a new one takes a couple of weeks to build) - you have to check the inventory in their outlet a couple of times to get the spec you need and a good price - i have changed several dells in the last 5 years, never a problem.

#15     Jun 6, 2005