LAPTOP deals, anyone buying one lately, what are you using for trading

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Copernicus, Jun 5, 2005.

1. i know there have been a lot of threads on this topic, but every week there are new ones out there.

so for right now, anyone with suggestions?

2. lap tops--- just got a sony vaio FS. its a cool machine and is currently around 1200.00 @ circuit city. the graphics, screen res, and speed are unreal .

Market Luther

3. I have been looking at the HP dv4000 series and the Toshiba S331, did you check them out before buying the Sony? Any comments?

Thanks

4. jmccain

jmccain

The new laptops have quite an 'improvement' that you may not be aware of at first glance. Most of the screens now have a technology called "TrueBrite", "BrightView" or similar.

This makes your screen extremely nice and dark when watching DVDs. The problem is that it also gives out extreme glare, particularly in a very bright setting, such as in an office or outdoors.

I bought one in January and had to bring it back the next day because my eyes were starting to bleed after working on it for a full day.

Some people may not be as sensitive as others, or maybe you are buying a 2K laptop just to watch movies but in any case, make sure that you can live with the screen.

5. da-net

da-net

I had one custom built. It is an AMD64 3.7Ghz, 2 Gig Ram, 17inch wide angle view, dual layer DVD burner, 60 gig Hitachi 7200 rpm drive, 10/100/1000 ethernet, 802.11 BG wireless, 56 k global modem, XP Pro 32 bit (64 bit upgrade when released), 128 meg video, dual battery, leather carry case, keyboard w/numeric pad, charger and car adapter, 3 year warranty....price $3K...If you are looking for price this would NOT be the one for you, but if you are looking for performance this is a decent unit as far as a MS platform goes. Setting it up as a dual boot for Linux & MS.

6. quite a machine!
    are processors in those thin new ones powerful enough for ocassional trading with few charts open and up to 50 quotes?

7. I have a Toshiba Sattelite P25-S609 laptop. P4 3.4GHz, 1G RAM expandable to 2G, 80GB harddrive, DVD-RW/CD-RW multi drive, 17" widescreen and running Microsoft Windows Media Center Edition 2004. with 3 year warrany it ran about $3k, the screen is sick and the the video card allows me to connect up to 32 different monitors and assign certain programs to open in those monitors if you want...great for setting up a trading war room if you have the money to go nuts with monitors.

The speed when trading is great, I haven't had any problems, except the laptop can get too hot sometimes.

8. da-net

da-net

VERY VERY Easily! This is a 64 bit processor from AMD with three hyperthread channels. It is the next generation hardware platform. It is not thin...it is about an inch thick and weighs about 9 pounds.

9. "In our tests, notebooks using the Pentium M performed considerably faster than those using the Mobile Pentium 4."

so is one of those 1.7 pentium M faster then 3.4 mobile pentium 4?

#10     Jun 5, 2005