Laptop Brand Selection

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stevej1658, Apr 11, 2004.

1. I finally purchased the sony viao with the 16" screen. This laptop is good for trading because the screen is very square - which I think allows you to display a bit more than the average widescreen laptop.

Also have a look at the Sager laptops. A lot of people swear by them.

Both sager and the HP 3000 series have dedicated website set up by users to discuss them.

I will see if I can find the links for you.

Runningbear

#31     Apr 16, 2004
  2. Laptop users,

I'm planning to get a laptop for travel and as a backup for my desktop. Is it worth paying extra $$$ to get 2 or 3 year warranty for the major brand laptops (IBM, DELL, SONY)?

Thanks,

Chinook

#32     Apr 27, 2004
  3. Get the Radio Shack warranty(you do not need to buy it there). You will then get the convenience of a drop off location for repair. They also cover your battery and screen. You can buy 1 - 3 year, even on a used computer.

If you have a new computer just send the receipt in and they do not even need to check your computer out.

Call (714)523-5091

Michael B.

P.S. I have ever been a big fan of Radio Shack, but this service is rather convenient.

#33     Apr 27, 2004
  4. Check with your credit card company - some cards (like AMEX) will automatically extend the manufacturer's warranty at no extra charge.

Also, check your insurance to see if it'll cover your laptop while you're traveling. If not, you might want to look into an additional rider (if your insurer has one) or separate insurance for it. Laptops are so easy to steal and such a big target these days, don't underestimate the possibility of having it stolen. There's also good chance for damage if you're doing a lot of traveling (warranties won't usually cover repairs needed as a result of physical damage).

I used to travel 5-6 days a week on business for years. Luckily never had any hardware stolen or damaged, but saw a bunch (other people's thankfully) that was. Did have a cashmere coat stolen from a United Red Carpet Club though.

#34     Apr 27, 2004
  5. ArchAngel and ElecricSavant, thanks for your suggestions.

Chinook

#35     Apr 28, 2004