Laptop Brand Selection

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stevej1658, Apr 11, 2004.

1. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

I have been very happy with my IBM T20 and T30 laptops. Excellent machines...

In the past I have not been happy with a Toshiba laptop.

- Greg

#21     Apr 11, 2004
  2. Lol...You are typing with the one that has the broken shift key....Small I's (i)

Michael B.

P.S. shame on you.... relegating ET to that computer.....

#22     Apr 11, 2004
  3. barsik

barsik

Sony's service is nonexistent if anything goes wrong with the machine.

#23     Apr 11, 2004
  4. funky

funky

lol, yep..... you got me ;)

#24     Apr 11, 2004
  5. I have been using a XP based Toshiba with a 17" monitor and built in wireless. I have not had any problems and frequently go a week or more without having to reboot. As for service a friend of mine had a problem that was solved extremely quick compared to other computer manufactures I have had experience with. It is at least worth looking at.

#25     Apr 11, 2004
  6. kbehr

kbehr

Does anyone have an opinion regarding the use of an apple powerbook for daytrading. The 17inch machine is spectacular as is the 23inch stand alone monitor. I am thinking of changing from a pc and would welcome ay opinions.
    Thanks
    Ken

#26     Apr 15, 2004
  7. titan4

titan4

I don't see how you can go wrong also buying a Dell!

#27     Apr 15, 2004
  8. I second that, had a 1 month old Sony and the DVD broke down, could not get it fixed.

Get an IBM, their keyboards and screens are about the best around.

I have have many laptops, both private and from work, Dell, Toshiba, IBM and I like the IBM best. It also has some great driver / software support what Toshiba was lacking. Of the 5 Toshibas I had only one major error once occured right after purchase: the screen was faulty. The 4 IBM's I have had never packed up. Had a few Dell's and they are definitely in my bad books.

One suggestion - if you do a lot of air travel then do not put your laptop in the usual computer bag and put it in the overhead locker. Other people will stuff their luggage in and it will get squashed. Get a Pelican waterproof case (like the stuff used for camera's and with foam on the inside). Plus it will become less of a target to get stolen in the poorer countries. (And if you leave it somewhere you can safely lock it up)

PS one more suggestion, if you keep your laptop running 24 hours a day they can run rather warm. I did go out and bought two strips of rubber (like the stuff used in car doors) that I put under the computer raising it half an inch rom the table, allowing air to freely circulate underneath it. Fan comes on now less frequently and temperature dropped by 5 degrees.

:cool:

#28     Apr 15, 2004

9. Sager is actually the U.S. distributor for Clevo, one of the world's largest laptop manufacturers. Clevo sources to several high-end OEMs including Voodoo and L-computers (I think). They make a very solid product but there's a few drawbacks on their high-end machines such as: screw-in batteries, no support for dual battery configurations, and no onsite support. - Rob

#29     Apr 15, 2004
  10. barsik

barsik

Eh... had three of Dell's notebooks at work.
    Major problems with all three, dell's service
    is not what it used to be.
    People who buy these machines are victims
    of hype and advertising.

My Thinkpad T23-- flawless after 2 years of use.
    They are expensive, but you get what you pay
    for.

#30     Apr 15, 2004