Laptop battery life

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shadowtrader, Jun 17, 2003.

1. My laptop is plugged in most of the time. I recently used it without the power chord and dicovered that the battery life has been cut in half. I had it for maybe 2 years, and it has a Li Ion battery.

I was wondering if there is any way I can extend the battery life on my new laptop, or is battery life just a function of time. Should I be unplugging and draining the battery periodically?

Thanks in advance.

2. As with all batteries, it too has a useful life. Generally you'll probably get about two to three years out of them before you'll need to look for a replacement. It's not the law, but it is about the norm. :)

3. Could also be an issue that the charging circuits on some laptops don't do as good a job as others. On some laptops, leaving your computer plugged in most of the time can actually permanently reduce the storage capacity of the battery.

I saw that problem a couple of years ago with the batteries in IBM laptops no longer holding a full charge after a year or so if they were mostly used on AC while those that spent most of their time on battery during the day could still hold a full charge. Never saw a problem with the Toshibas though.

4. I use an Acer book.

If I want to use it plugged for the next 2 or 3 days the manual suggest to charge the battery full and remove it from the book.

But as ArchAngel mentioned it depends on....... Ask your manual or call the service line.

Good trading

5. maxpi

maxpi

That could be a matter of the electrical engineering going into the charging circuit. If somebody knows of brands that work well in that area it would be of value to a lot of us if you posted with same.

Max