Laptop and extended desktop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jayford, Feb 15, 2004.

1. Is it true that any laptop running XP can now run an extended screen? Assuming a monitor port of course.

I know how to configure this on my desktop PC, but am not sure if the internals of all laptops can take advantage of this since they run only one card. In the past, only higher end laptops could do this.

I'm getting ready to do some serious travelling soon, but wish to work the entire time, and I need two monitors (the 19" lcd will ride bubble wrapped in a hard shell suitcase).

Thanks,

Jay

2. Luto

Luto

Yes but the secondary monitor functionality depends upon the laptop port and its video chip. better port and chip better functionality. Check the specs on the machine you are going to be using...

3. Do you know what specs I should look for?

Jay

4. The Ge Force Go cards will run a second monitor.

Check out www.realtimesoft.com for detailed info on setting up dual screens on laptops.

Runningbear

5. J-Trade

J-Trade

Jayford - if you're travelling by car, then lugging that 19" lcd is no problem. Otherwise, MUCH easier to use two laptops with http://www.maxivista.com/ software. You then have a spare computer backup, & you can fit 2 laptops into one carry-on computer case. If you need the screenspace, you can get some pretty big screens, although i would not recommend going higher than around 1280 x 1024 res for anything other than charts (1600 x 1200 is fantastic for charts).

Hope that helps.

J.

6. ig0r

ig0r

Im on a laptop with a gfx card that is effectively a Radeon 7000 and I use a second monitor all the time, works fine.

7. I've got one of the new widescreen laptops (1280X800) with ATI 9600 video card. When I hooked up my 19" monitor (1280X1024) to it, the resolution on my monitor seemed a bit large and out-of-whack.. How do I fix this?

8. Thanks, but I only have 1 laptop. Hard shell suitcase with lcd wrapped in bubble works fine (sandwiched between clothes).

9. DTK

DTK

#10     Feb 16, 2004