Laptop 17" for trading

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by luckylee, Oct 19, 2008.

1. accer was my first PC and to turn it on, i had to have it sideways!

#21     Feb 5, 2009

2. Maybe you should not have taken yourself to Mongolia. I have yet to visit a place and I have been around a bit, where local people could not repair a computer.
    BTW. My 20 inch Acer notebook was NOT cheap. When they came out (2 years ago) the retail price was around 2K, not a small change in notebook world. Acer does make good quality top of the line machines (at least when I was looking for one) .

#22     Feb 5, 2009
  3. Redneck

Redneck

FWIW Sir

Last year I bought a (somewhat customized to my specs / and directly from HP)

17” HP Pavilion dV9500 (It came with VISTA)

I removed VISTA, reformatted the drive to NTFS, then installed XP Pro, and all associated drivers (found the drivers over the internet)

This laptop has performed flawlessly and is near as fast as my completely custom desktop

I use it over a wireless (EVDO) connection - and could not be happier

Aside – I found the HP folks somewhat hard to deal with, (they “thought” they knew what was best for me - I finally convinced them otherwise)

In the end this laptop was worth the trouble

Take Care
    Redneck

#23     Feb 6, 2009
  4. Hard to beat a MacBook Pro. Available in either 15" or 17". You said price is no object. I think this is the best laptop on the market. You can check it out at the Apple website.

OldTrader

#24     Feb 6, 2009
  5. I have never had an ACER laptop, but I would never purchase one based on my experience with their monitors. I've had to return 2 out of 6.

#25     Feb 6, 2009
  6. Actually it was Costa Rica which is a major tourist destination. And I had a WORLDWIDE WARRANTY.
    The reason I suggested that Acer was cheap, is that I compared other brands with the same specs and they were a lot more expensive. For example I would guess that if you compared your 2k laptop specs to hp, the hp would have cost more.

#26     Feb 6, 2009
  7. I use a HP dv9730us laptop. 17-inch screen. Bought at Fry's. About $800 or so in March 2008. Returned for service twice so far:

September 2008: C drive (actually only one physical drive) completely hosed without warning. Blue screen death. They changed out the disk.

January 2009: C drive corruption again.

I used to use an IBM T43 for over 3 years and no problem whatsoever (only a bit slow running newer apps).

#27     Feb 6, 2009