Lakers Done?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AAAintheBeltway, May 6, 2004.

1. F*&^%$N Lakers!! :(

At least it was a classy guy, Fisher, who made that shot.

#21     May 13, 2004
  2. bronks

bronks

I went from throwing the coffee table across the room (after the Duncan shot) to pissing my pants all in a matter of minutes. The only thing is, you eventually have to go and pick up all the stuff you've thrown around in the living room, while the kids snicker at you.

#22     May 13, 2004
  3. I didn't see the entire game, but was I the only one who thought the Spurs were not getting much respect from the ref's, considering they are two-time NBA champs playing at home? I saw Parker and Duncan basically getting manhandled, while any close defense of Kobe produced the automatic foul formerly known as a "Jordan". Duncan got a ridiculous charging foul under the basket, while Shaq is allowed to bulldoze people out of the way, who then get fouls called on them.

Guess the league office doesn't want to risk a Spurs-Pacers final. Two small market teams would be a ratings disaster. Maybe they could work something out with Vince McMahon and put the finals on with Wrestmania. that way they would only need one set of ref's.

#23     May 14, 2004
  4. Many people are saying what a great game last night was, I found it mostly unwatchable.

Bill Russell (11 rings) was interviewed last week on Craig Kilborne's show. Kilborne asked him how he would do against Shaq.

Russell said it would depend on which set of rules they played under. If they played by the rules that Russell and Wilt played under, Russell was sure that he would dominate Shaq under the rules of the 60's, and that Shaq would dominate Russell under current rules.

Today's rules favor physical talent over fundamental basketball and teamwork.

Russell said it is all about entertainment today, not really about basketball.

I concur.

As great as MJ was, as much as I loved watching him, his superior talent, charisma and level of play ruined the league and leaves us with the crap we have today.

I don't know how many times during this series I have seen 3 seconds being violated, traveling, palming, fouls, moving picks, doubel dribble, etc. This type of basketball lacks the beauty and teamwork I grew up with.

#24     May 14, 2004
  5. I saw a lot of fouls not called both ways. Numerous drives by Lakers in the lane with major body contact and no fouls were called. It really goes both ways and perception is usually that "your" team got jobbed. Happens all the time.

I stick with the assessment that Shaq may be the most dominating player/center ever, but, nowhere near the best. My issue is that he's not even in the top 50 centers of all time if it were based upon skill level.

Later,

Cracked

#25     May 14, 2004
  6. I agree, although the NBA has always had a rather elastic set of rules. Elgin Baylor wasn't called for traveling in 10 seasons, although his three step move into the lane was legendary.

#26     May 14, 2004
  7. ElCubano

ElCubano

Man things are looking different very different then when the playoffs started.......Big Guys are wilting and little guys are stepping up....things have taken a 180 degree turn in every series...let just hope the HEAT can join in and whoooop dat ass tonight....stay tuned its going to be a scorcher.....you gotta love this game........

#27     May 15, 2004
  8. Yesterday's Nets-Pistons game was AWESOME! Had the Nets lost that one they'd be just sick after missing 3 out of 4 free throws in the final seconds of regulation. Scalabrine did a pretty good circa 2000 Austin Croshere impression with his 3-pt. shooting.

However, I still think Detroit can win the next two.

I think the Spurs are done, the Pacers will win in 7 (sorry Cubano), and the Wolves will take out Sac town.

Anyway, if it's Lakers v.s. Nets again in the Finals, I'm not even going to watch.

#28     May 15, 2004
  9. The Pistons have really disappointed me. They looked great in the beginning of this series, now look scared and tentative. I have to give the Nets their props. They are truly a team. They come together as five who are collectively better than the five individuals on the floor.

Question. If the Pistons go out, will Larry Brown be back?

#29     May 15, 2004
  10. If they resign Sheed, yes, Brown will be back. Resigning Sheed is very important for their future.

Detroit needs some to find some strength in the back court, or some work in the steroid room. Prince and Hamilton are not physically strong enough to compete with strong muscular guards like Kidd, Davis, Artest, etc.

#30     May 15, 2004