Lack of volatility in ES getting brutal

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by EsKiller, Feb 22, 2017.

1. EsKiller

EsKiller

Back to terrible volatility again. Grabbed 4 ticks 2 mins before market opened, and another 2 ticks about 5 mins into the open. Called it quits after that as if I took a full loss, it would be tough to rebound. There's profits to be made, you just can't make mistakes. Take a little bit and run and shift gears to longer time frames and long only.

#51     Feb 28, 2017
  2. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

GTFO. Re-capitalize. You are not in a place (mentally or financially) to accept the risk exposure necessary to garner the reward you seek. Your ability to push mouse buttons is not a license to trade. You must bring a set of skills to the market that, like the profile of a key in a lock, pushes some parts of the market, and (importantly) misses others, if you are to be successful in harvesting anything from the market. The thing is, the *shape* of that lock to which you're trying to match your skill-set, shifts -- and shifts sometimes without apparent reason, explanation, or schedule.

So, not only do you need risk capital to get the opportunity to earn reward, but you need the flexible skill-set (complete with iterative feed-back loop) to insure a proper fit.

Hope all this makes sense.

#52     Feb 28, 2017
  3. Gotcha

Gotcha

As much as I like some of your posts, this one is just far out there. ESkiller is describing a scenario in the ES today that accurately reflects the price action. He talks the talk of a real trader given the incredibly tight trading range since the open. Your post is in some fantasy land. Perhaps you can show us some of your trades so that we can see how you're doing it all properly, how you're in that magical mental and financial place and how your proverbial key fits the lock to which your skill set is matched.

#53     Feb 28, 2017
    Nereto and i960 like this.
  4. EsKiller

EsKiller

I came here to vent about the lack of movement and volatility knowing other trades share my feelings, not to be criticized on my trading or my inability to take $ out of the markets. If I told you my losing percentages you probably would think I'm lying to you so I wont bother. Been trading for 10 years full time, and in that time, its been my primary income source. 100% confident in my ability to take profits out of the market each and everyday no matter the volatility. Yet the volatility does dictate how many trades i take and thus how many points I take. None of my trading is based upon emotions or feelings. Financially speaking I'm doing just fine, but thanks for the concern.

#54     Feb 28, 2017
    beginner66, Fehu, algofy and 4 others like this.
  5. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

Oh hell, man! Every time I've tried to scalp in the last ....5+ years? I've lost money. What's to show? "Red ink." Before that? I was a bread-n-butter ES scalper for years.

Psychologists call this "projection" -- where (it's been a while, but I'm paraphrasing from wayyyy back) we see the world through the lens of our own experience, not just empirically, but emotionally, ethically, etc. So, when I read a handle like "ESKiller" and see a lesser number of posts and read of being perplexed by a flat market with no wash in which [we] might play -- these are all the signposts of someone who is about ready to make their last ET post.
    We've all seen it. I *projected* my own experiences, and my observations of others' stories, onto ESKiller. (For good or ill.)

At any event, when I faced difficulty while trying to keep a marvelous[!] record intact, I had to retool. I went all optiony. (Yes, I just made a word.) Now, I'm trading OPM too, and even tooling up to go public. [It's exhausting, but a whole new *continent* to explore. Wow. (Current project: Java. Not the lovely stuff that might inhabit my coffee mug. Hoo boy.)]

Still, I just don't think people should trade ANYTHING without first scalping ticks for a while. Just too much there. Too much. One of these days, I'm going to pull some money into a sub-sub-sub-account, and see if I can't re-tool the ol' ES skills again. Have to.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    #55     Feb 28, 2017
  6. EsKiller

EsKiller

Never said I was perplexed about this market. dont know where you are getting that from

#56     Feb 28, 2017
  7. Gotcha

Gotcha

Honestly.. once again... more cheap words. You're just like Trump, the master of redirection of a topic. So first you killed it scalping the ES, then you lost for 5 years, and now you're going to to put more money into a sub-sub-sub account and try again? What would be the point if you're killing it doing whatever it is that you're doing, which we still have no idea about, except that you're so good that you're not even trading your own money any more.

Honestly, I'm at a loss for words to trying to find anything useful or credible in your post. Since you've been around for a long time I'd like to give you the benefit of the doubt, but its getting difficult. I mean right at the end of your post you say that you think everyone should scalp a few ticks, and yet, your original post berated ESKiller for taking only scalps since this was all that the ES was offering. Is your trading just as all over the place as your last 2 replies?

#57     Feb 28, 2017
  8. Overnight

Overnight

If people do not like tight trading ranges, why not try RB instead of ES? Stop with the ES! *dies*

Gotcha, shoot me now. Thanks ahead of time for shooting me! *waves*

#58     Feb 28, 2017
  9. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

Ohferchrisakes.

#59     Feb 28, 2017
  10. ES will continue higher, trade of the decade is wait patiently for the FED to raise rates at increased intervals.. Let rates get high enough that risks at high valuations don't need to be taken.

#60     Feb 28, 2017