Lack of volatility in ES getting brutal

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by EsKiller, Feb 22, 2017.

1. %% Good question, no. And that was a Modern Trader magazine ,mistake. Average MAR, S& P cash gain is a bout 2.0%. NOT 20%%. [Averages are not predictions anyway. Average person buys a new auto, many of them finance it,LOL]

#41     Feb 24, 2017
  2. Let me tell you the secret. Trade ES only when VIX is above 15. Higher the better

ES right now only 11

Currently CL and GC are the only good markets to scalp since they have very good trends.

Right now, CL VIX is 25 and GC VIX is 14, but GC miners VIX is 36 so GC still counts.

Good luck!

http://www.cboe.com/products/vix-index-volatility/volatility-indexes

#42     Feb 25, 2017
    murray t turtle likes this.
  3. %%
    BMW33; Its easy to make a math mistake.MODERN TRADER mag, March 2017 noted average S&P gains =23%.LOL Must have meant 2.3%. Page 81. My mistake, i noted it as 20%+ LOL[+2% Total.] Two.three [2.3%]is probably what they meant, for March average S&P gain??

#43     Feb 27, 2017
  4. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

lack of volatility is what will give you the best opportunity to make extended money.

#44     Feb 27, 2017
    murray t turtle likes this.
  5. i960

i960

FALSE!

#45     Feb 27, 2017
    tommcginnis likes this.
  6. FX xtc

FX xtc

curr vol.jpg
    Same frustration in FX majors, hard to make a buck...

#46     Feb 27, 2017
  7. %%
    Sure if its a good trend.Many like the colored green candles in a bull market uptrend; but green hair like some youngsters do ,NOT so much LOL-LOL I warned a younger trader about the false part of a big trend between the bid /ask.[$00.05 = big trend between bid/ask, pennystock,5 pennies bid/ask spread, not liquid, stock]

#47     Feb 27, 2017
  8. algofy

algofy

???

#48     Feb 27, 2017
  9. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

Trend is the best way to make money. In order for a trader to profit, trend needs to occur. During trends volatility is necessarily lower.

#49     Feb 27, 2017
    algofy likes this.
  10. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

There's a past thread about the reasons and time line including the firms involved...

Basically Emini ES futures was the darling boy of marketing by brokers, data providers, websites and blogs for many years during a time when there was very good volatility.

It's no longer that way but still a top discussion at many forums...slowly giving way to other markets as retail folks try to adapt via trading other markets.

#50     Feb 27, 2017
    truetype likes this.