Labor Dept. Banning Farm Chores For Kids

Discussion in 'Politics' started by achilles28, Apr 25, 2012.

1. achilles28

achilles28

The nanny-state moves to the heartland. Thanks to our Shithead-in-Chief...

A proposal from the Obama administration to prevent children from doing farm chores has drawn plenty of criticism from rural-district members of Congress. But now it’s attracting barbs from farm kids themselves.

The Department of Labor is poised to put the finishing touches on a rule that would apply child-labor laws to children working on family farms, prohibiting them from performing a list of jobs on their own families’ land.

Under the rules, children under 18 could no longer work “in the storing, marketing and transporting of farm product raw materials.”

“Prohibited places of employment,” a Department press release read, “would include country grain elevators, grain bins, silos, feed lots, stockyards, livestock exchanges and livestock auctions.”

The new regulations, first proposed August 31 by Labor Secretary Hilda Solis, would also revoke the government’s approval of safety training and certification taught by independent groups like 4-H and FFA, replacing them instead with a 90-hour federal government training course.

http://dailycaller.com/2012/04/25/r...-dept-rule-banning-farm-chores/#ixzz1t6gribp4

2. this only applies to employees, not children of farm owners. farm work is dangerous business with all the big machinery these days. every year many kids are maimed or killed working on farms. it is good policy.

3. achilles28

achilles28

No, it applies to children of farm owners. Did you not read the article?

"The Department of Labor is poised to put the finishing touches on a rule that would apply child-labor laws to children working on family farms, prohibiting them from performing a list of jobs on their own families’ land."

4. Unenforceable.

5. Few people know just how dangerous farm work is. That is just corn and beans, this does not include a livestock farm.

6. achilles28

achilles28

So that makes it okay? The Government should try and nanny us to death, because they won't be able to?

And I highly doubt it's unenforceable. 3 years ago, nobody would have thought the TSA would expand past a few airports. Now they're performing checkpoints on highways, subways and trains. Next? Patrol city buses. Clearly, if the Federal Government gives themselves a mandate to stick their hands up our ass, or patrol farms for violations of a child labor law, or premises ID, they'll hire the brownshirt goon-force to get it done. Look at the Federal Budget and the employment rate. The Republicans wont touch a federal union and the Democrats only want to expand them (a favorite voting block).

7. I see where you are coming from, I just find it hard to envision this getting past the Farm Bureau, which is quietly one the most powerful lobbies in the nation.

OTOH, I can also see how this is a scheme to further undermine the family farms and allow a quiet war that has been going on here in the heartland for quite some time between family farms and big agribusiness to continue.

It would be a tragedy and over time destroy rural America. The work ethic here is amazing, even among the very young.

8. achilles28

achilles28

Indeed. Know much about premises ID? Small farms are forced to tag and track their livestock while corporate farms are largely exempt. Another example of regulatory monopolies crushing the little guy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Animal_Identification_System#Premises_identification_number

9. I had a friend tell me about this. She is actually the one who let me in on what is really going on in the heartland. The government gets away with this stuff because while Chicago, Peoria, Davenport, and say Oklahoma City, are all IN the heartland, they are not really a part of it. People who live in these cities have much to learn about what goes on all around them, they may as well live in New York. My friend nearly wound up in jail over her moving some improperly IDed horses from Wisconsin to Illinois.

I actually see a plan for big agri to either own outright every acre of farmland in this nation, or have the family farmer is such debt slavery that they cannot get out. Having to hire farmhands in lieu of teaching the children could be bad news. Who will take over the farm when pop dies? I honestly think this could be part of the long term plan. I would call it conspiracy, but I have seen first hand the battle being waged out here. They really are trying to take these farms away from these people.

10. achilles28

achilles28

Thanks for sharing that. I think that's the general sentiment of most small farmers and ranchers from the little I hear about it discussed on talk radio. It's depressing and troubling to me to see the bigger guys dominate the food supply. The FDA and (largely) Monsanto have a revolving door and they market toxic crap. It's at the point where I'm beside myself at the level of corruption going on. I want to rage, but rage to who. If we give up, it won't be 10 years before the Country goes to hell imo. Tell somebody and you sound like negative nancy. Joke about it and ur a meaningless tart with no place in history.

#10     Apr 26, 2012