LA Times going to the mat for their boy Obama

Discussion in 'Politics' started by TGregg, Oct 28, 2008.

1. You are either a full-on idiot and the only person on ET who doesn't know about Rove's past, or you are trying to pull my leg. I'd like to give you the benefit of the doubt, I really would, but I'm guessing that you're a creationist as well...

#41     Oct 29, 2008
  2. fhl

fhl

No, no, no, I wouldn't take the bible literally. I actually am just like you. I take "crooksandliars", "rollingstone", and "counterpunch" as my authoritative sources on all things material. I know that my thinking is clear as a result.

:D :D

#42     Oct 29, 2008
  3. "
    During the 1990s, while he served as chairman of the International Republican Institute (IRI), McCain distributed several grants to the Palestinian research center co-founded by Khalidi, including one worth half a million dollars.

A 1998 tax filing for the McCain-led group shows a $448,873 grant to Khalidi's Center for Palestine Research and Studies for work in the West Bank. (See grant number 5180, "West Bank: CPRS" on page 14 of this PDF.)

The relationship extends back as far as 1993, when John McCain joined IRI as chairman in January. Foreign Affairs noted in September of that year that IRI had helped fund several extensive studies in Palestine run by Khalidi's group, including over 30 public opinion polls and a study of "sociopolitical attitudes.""

McCain's bad judgment comes through again as he allows an attack on a subject where he is on quicksand.

http://firedoglake.com/2008/10/29/w...rashid-khalidi/

Seneca

#43     Oct 29, 2008
  4. You got to give credit to the American people, who managed to get through an entire evening of debate without ever once asking a question about William Ayers. It's almost as if the public has more pressing things on their minds these days. Of course, this is what everyone's been talking about since the weekend! What if they gave a debate and no one came with discussion of the voguish idiot question du jour?

Well rest assured, America, after the debate there was one venue where discussion on Ayers came hot and heavy: the Fox News Channel. I think it's all they talked about, actually! Everytime we tuned over to Fox, it was "YAAAAAAGHH OBAMA'S TERRORIST PAL!" Fred Thompson wanted to talk about it! Karl Rove wanted to talk about. And most of all, Sean Hannity wanted to talk about it with Obama spokesman Robert Gibbs, who'd already endured the business end of Mark Halperin's idiot vlog on the subject. Well, finally, Gibbs decided he just wasn't having any more of it, and in precisely the sort of parry that one wanted to see turned the guilt-by-association game on Hannity, asking him, "Are you anti-Semitic?" Soon, the conversation was a mess of yelling and crosstalk, with Gibbs loudly asking why Hannity would give a hatemonger a primo forum, and Hannity responding, "BENJAMIN NETANYAHU BLURBED MY BOOK! YAAHHHH! LOUD NOISES!"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/10/08/robert-gibbs-confronts-ha_n_132842.html

#44     Oct 29, 2008
  5. hughb

hughb

You guys blaming the LA Times for supressing the story are pointing your finger in the wrong direction. If your candidate would run a campaign as if he actually intended to win, HE would be calling for the realease of the tape. he isn't doing it. Your own candidate obviously doesn't beleive there's anything to it. He's far enough behind in the polls right now that he will lose on election day. This tape, if it has what is purported, may be enough to win the election? Does the tape really have what is purported? Is McCain going to step up and campaign to win this thing? We'll see. the clock is ticking.

#45     Oct 29, 2008
  6. He's right.

The political atmosphere facing House Republicans this November is the worst since Watergate and is far more toxic than the fall of 2006 when they lost thirty seats (and the majority) and came within a couple of percentage points of losing another fifteen seats.

Without some meaningful changes in direction, the GOP is heading for losses bordering on another twenty seats in the House and up to a half dozen Senate seats.

The Republican brand is in the trash can. If it were a dog food, they would take it off the shelf.

#46     Oct 29, 2008
  7. The McCain campaign is calling for the release of the tape.

McCain campaign accuses L.A. Times of 'suppressing' Obama video
    The Times says its promise to a source prevents the paper from posting the video, which shows Barack Obama praising Palestinian activist Rashid Khalidi at a 2003 banquet. The story first appeared in April.
    By a Times staff writer

October 29, 2008

John McCain's presidential campaign Tuesday accused the Los Angeles Times of "intentionally suppressing" a videotape it obtained of a 2003 banquet where then-state Sen. Barack Obama spoke of his friendship with Rashid Khalidi, a leading Palestinian scholar and activist.

The Times first reported on the videotape in an April 2008 story about Obama's ties with Palestinians and Jews as he navigated the politics of Chicago. The report included a detailed description of the tape, but the newspaper did not make the video public.

"A major news organization is intentionally suppressing information that could provide a clearer link between Barack Obama and Rashid Khalidi," said McCain campaign spokesman Michael Goldfarb. " . . . The election is one week away, and it's unfortunate that the press so obviously favors Barack Obama that this campaign must publicly request that the Los Angeles Times do its job -- make information public."

The Times on Tuesday issued a statement about its decision not to post the tape.

"The Los Angeles Times did not publish the videotape because it was provided to us by a confidential source who did so on the condition that we not release it," said the newspaper's editor, Russ Stanton. "The Times keeps its promises to sources."

Jamie Gold, the newspaper's readers' representative, said in a statement: "More than six months ago the Los Angeles Times published a detailed account of the events shown on the videotape. The Times is not suppressing anything. Just the opposite -- the L.A. Times brought the matter to light."

The original article said that Obama's friendships with Palestinian Americans in Chicago and his presence at Palestinian community events had led some to think he was sympathetic to the Palestinian viewpoint on Middle East politics. Obama publicly expresses a pro-Israel viewpoint that pleases many Jewish leaders.

In reporting on Obama's presence at the dinner for Khalidi, the article noted that some speakers expressed anger at Israel and at U.S. foreign policy, but that Obama in his comments called for finding common ground.

It said that Khalidi in the 1970s often spoke to reporters on behalf of the Palestine Liberation Organization. Khalidi later lived near Obama while teaching at the University of Chicago. He is now a professor of Arab studies at Columbia University in New York.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-video29-2008oct29,0,3673732,print.story

#47     Oct 29, 2008
  8. No one in their right mind would argue with you on this.

The Republican "brand" means nothing now. The fact the party nominated an unpopular figure like McCain demonstrates how fractured they are. The Reagan coalition is dead. You have to give Bush much of the credit. He got us into a disastrous war, ruined the budget and economy and appointed clueless officials who presided over the financial crisis like it was Hurricane Katrina all over again. He managed to turn Russia from a potential partner into a determined adversary.

Republican congressional leaders also share the blame. They chose weak leaders for themselves, put the interests of lobbyists over their voters and failed to respect the importance of principle.

The GOP is left with its unofficial motto, "We may be bad, but we're not as bad as the alternative." That is certainly true but voters are tired of it.

#48     Oct 29, 2008
    #49     Oct 29, 2008
  10. hughb

hughb

That's a good first step, now let's see McCain get on the stump and call for it himself. There's no time for him to play around here, he's much too far behind with election day this close.

#50     Oct 29, 2008