KVM... with mouse and keyboard only?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gnome, Sep 25, 2007.

1. gnome

gnome

1. Traditional use is for mouse, keyboard, and monitor to share 2 or more computers... what about mouse + keyboard, but each computer has its own monitors?

2. Which electronic ones are good?

TIA

2. gnome

gnome

Thanks for the response.

Gee, looks like I could have searched and found this answer without starting a thread... gomen

3. maxpi

maxpi

I've had a few kvm's. As I recall a Belkin one I had was the worst and one I grabbed off the rack at Best Buy was fine, about $20 as I recall.. They have to be designed well to emulate the keyboard at startup on the machine without the keyboard selected. Some have switch capability right from your keyboard, you hit a key combo and it switches over. I had one computer set up with a dual monitor card and another with a single monitor card and could switch one monitor between the two machines, it was sweet, I had a dual monitor trading machine and a single monitor surfing machine and instant switchover..

4. If all you want to do is to share mouse and keyboard between multiple PCs, this can be done in software.

Works really well.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=59275&release_id=406637

5. this program sends keystroke & mouse data across your lan. the data is not encrypted so the hardware kvm is safer.

there are ways to get it encrypted but it's probably beyond the realm of 95% of users. spend $20-40 on the kvm.