Kudlow...showing early sign of Parkinson??????

Discussion in 'Trading' started by howardy2k, Mar 15, 2003.

1. I have a love-hate relationship with Cramer. I too learned an awful lot from him, his early stuff--remember Wrong!-- was actually pretty damn awesome and he is a good barometer of conventional wisdom. He has this huge ethical blindspot however where brokerage/investment bank abuses happen to intersect with his personal interest, such as getting tipped on research calls and other sleazy stuff. He is upfront in his book that he couldn';t make money until Karen showed him how to play the broker/trading desk game, and ironically, he still can't make money without that crutch.

I have a lot of time for Larry Kudlow. This guy was on top of the world, crashed and burned in the most embarrassing way possible, yet had the balls to pull himself back up. He was an early supplysider and has fought the good fight for 20 plus years. If he's wrong on the economy or market by being too bullsih, I personally couldn't care less because I know his heart is in the right place. He's never claimed to be a market strategist.

I think the Kudlow &Cramer show is the best thing on cable. They have the best guests, they actually have intelligent discussions rather than partisan screaming and I really like it. Just don't buy stocks on Cramer's recommendation.

#11     Mar 15, 2003
  2. Cramer's personal net worth is 100MM; wish mine was.

Love him or hate him, he was in the right place at the right time.

He's further ahead of the curve than most of us will ever be.

Best,
    David

Though I loathe Kudlow's perma bull attitude, if that's true, I feel real bad for that, my best friend since childood...has recently be diagnosed with MD, 38 years old..and we quibble over nonsense on this site.

Perspective my fellow ET ers.

Good nite

#12     Mar 15, 2003
  3. sammybea

sammybea

how in the world is cramer worth 100M??????? Did you read that somewhere. Just shocking to me.

#13     Mar 15, 2003

4. I beg to differ with you howardy2k. Kudlow was right to expose and discredit Greenspan, but he was absolutely wrong about the reasons why.

Kudlow felt that Greenspan tightened rates too soon. Had Kudlow had his way, the stock market bubble would have lasted longer. The after effects, which we are still suffering through right now would have been much worse.

It would have been much better if Greenspan had tightened rates much earlier, like at the time of his irrational exhuberance speech. Even after the Asian financial crisis, or the LTCM would have been better. Instead, Greenspan followed the easy money policy and new economy bs, the kind espoused by Kudlow. The rest is history.

#14     Mar 15, 2003
  5. Yes read it somewhere, and def. true. The guy had a 400MM fund, was staked by Marty Peretz to the tune of 500K, and made out like a bandit.

He cut his entire existance in the biggest bull of all time, why do you think his recent pix have been for shit?

He's never seen a mkt like this...but is laughing all the way to the bank.
    Best,
    david

#15     Mar 15, 2003
  6. I agree. Greespan should tight in 1997, with maybe just one 25 basis point hike.

#16     Mar 15, 2003
  7. Quote from AAAintheBeltway:

I have a lot of time for Larry Kudlow. This guy was on top of the world, crashed and burned in the most embarrassing way possible, yet had the balls to pull himself back up. He was an early supplysider and has fought the good fight for 20 plus years. If he's wrong on the economy or market by being too bullsih, I personally couldn't care less because I know his heart is in the right place.

lol, i don't think his heart being in the right place has anything to do with his skills on analysing the economy does it? (besides, plenty of democrats have their hearts in the right places, but i'm sure you wouldn't be so quick to let them off the hook if they were making kudlowesque market prognostications)

I think the Kudlow &Cramer show is the best thing on cable. They have the best guests, they actually have intelligent discussions rather than partisan screaming and I really like it.

maybe kudlow doesn't scream them, but he manages to sneak them in often enough.

#17     Mar 16, 2003
  8. Vishnu

Vishnu

a. Cramer must be worth at least 100M. This seems surprising to some people. Don't forget he was one of the top performing hedge fund managers ever. Try returning 30%/ year on average on a 100-400M hedge fund for over 10 years. Yeah, it was a bull market but so what? 99.9% of funds couldn't do that.

b. Cramer succeeded in popularizing the concept that people who don't' have access to the big hedge funds could successfully invest their money. Whether or not its true (and I think it is if risk management principles are followed) retail investors did foray into the markets and provide much welcomed liquidity.

c. Cramer's recent calls on the market have been spot on.

As for Kudlow, anybody whose career could survive being one of Nixon's top speechwriters deserves a gold star in my book.

#18     Mar 16, 2003