Krugman on Health Reform Myths

Discussion in 'Economics' started by hermit, Mar 12, 2010.

1. OK, you are an idiot. That is the fact.

As you said above, This is reasonable, responsible... Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.

#11     Mar 12, 2010
  2. Ok Mr nobel prize winning economist:
    How come your solutions to all the problems you address appear to be more of the original causation.
    1)credit crisis was from too much liquidity in the system.
    solution: Throw more money at it and berate us for not throwing enough.

2) In health care if what we now have is such a disaster and as you report govt takeover happened long ago.

How is it that more govt intervention is the solution?

krugman the little troll's answer for everything under the sun is "more govt".

#12     Mar 13, 2010
  3. A Democrat Congressman from Florida just introduced a Public Option. Funny, it's not getting much air play on either side.

http://market-ticker.org/archives/2075-Alan-Grayson-Tossed-Out-A-Hardball.html

Posted by Karl Denninger in Health Reform at 14:20
    Alan Grayson Tossed Out A Hardball

Now we're talking:

Congressman Alan Grayson, D-Fla., today introduced a bill (H.R. 4789) which would give the option to buy into Medicare to every citizen of the United States. The “Public Option Act,” also known as the “Medicare You Can Buy Into Act,” would open up the Medicare network to anyone who can pay for it.

http://grayson.house.gov/News/DocumentSingle.aspx?DocumentID=175363#main

Ding ding ding ding.

If you're going to mandate that everyone have health insurance, then you have to provide a public option.

That is the only way you're going to keep people from being raped.

I still don't think this is Constitutional, by the way, but this much is clear: Medicare's premiums haven't been going up at 20, 30 or 40% a year.

Depending on the premium, I'm interested, and would likely dump my private insurance (which I have to pay for in cash) immediately were this to become law.

If we can't have the sort of four-point plan I've put forward in the past, this is the next best option.

#13     Mar 13, 2010
  4. grayson is a dumbass.
    Best way to bk medicare abruptly would be his plan.

#14     Mar 13, 2010
  5. Part B Medicare premiums rose approximately 16% for 2010. Part B is what all seniors pay for. If you want a supplement to Parts A and Parts B, which you absolutely better have in order to pay for all the deductibles, copays, and other things medicare doesn't pay for, then it went up. I would estimate that full medicare with a supplemental policy and drug coverage would cost a 65 years old senior approximately $300 per month.

OldTrader

#15     Mar 13, 2010
  6. NKNY

NKNY

Wow, this is better then a comedy... If it wasn't such a serious issue, I'd be laughing...

#16     Mar 13, 2010
  7. NKNY

NKNY

haha, seems to me they give those out to just about anyone...

#17     Mar 13, 2010
  8. NKNY

NKNY

Insurance premium's have been going up because we...the private sector subsidize medicare. They dont pay their fair share and we pick up the slack forcing our rates to go up. Then the slick Marxists err I mean politicians point and say "look, we need more government, look at the greedy insurance co's" It's really quite remarkable...

Everyone knows competition reduces costs and improves quality, I mean it's the first thing we were taught in school... And now they are trying to tell us that one big public option which will obviously price insurance companies out of existence (because they can) is better... They are after all "the government" and can sell a policy at a loss in order to eliminate all competition... It's called predatory pricing. But ask yourself, what happens once there is no more competition ? Will they mandate vaccines to protect us against flu... what if you refuse or dont believe in taking such vaccines ? will you be forced to comply in order to "qualify" for healthcare. What if your not happy with the service? Where will the "mandates" stop.... what is the limit to their power.... people need to stop thinking they are getting something for free...nothing is free, everything is a tradeoff.

In my opinion we should be going in the exact opposite direction... open the gates and let true free market competition go to work... I was listening to the radio and heard a man speaking about his policy costing him about 350 bucks to cover him and his wife... Why do I have to pay $650 JUST FOR ME in NY. WHY cant I buy his policy... Why does government stand in the way of true competition. I'm sure that mans insurance co would love to sell me a policy, and I would love to purchase it, but we cant enter into a voluntary contract and do business with eachother because Government is "looking out for me, the little guy" and says we cant. This is not free market, it's a disgrace.

There is a reason the constitution places limits on government, and soon, I'm afraid we will find out why. Just remember, there is no free lunch in life... you will pay for it one way or another.

Nick

#18     Mar 13, 2010
  9. Mercor

Mercor

So everybody gets free healthcare. Who is going to make people use it. To keep costs down we need to force everyone to do annual checkups. Right now a large amount of costs go to people who ignore their health untill they have more serious problems.

#19     Mar 13, 2010
  10. So when I ask you to mention the facts, you call me names. What a mature and reasonable response. This is exactly what we need, when someone calls out for a debate, simply insult the person and vilify the guy asking for a response.

Kudos to You Sir.

#20     Mar 13, 2010