KOSPI 200 Futures - Traders

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by RedDuke, Feb 25, 2009.

1. RedDuke

RedDuke

Daily tick range % when compared to settlement price is around 2.9% for March 09, contact since 12/12/2008 until yesterday.

#11     Feb 26, 2009
  2. RedDuke

RedDuke

I definitely will study it. Planning to paper trade and observe it for at least 1 month. Then will start with 1 contract.

I also have some data. I have most of February in ticks. If someone needs it, I can post it here, when zipped the file is about 1.5 mb.

#12     Feb 26, 2009
  3. RedDuke

RedDuke

During the first several hours yesterday the depth was a bit thinner than for the most of last week, double digits on each level and I have even seen single digits from time to time.

This resulted immediately in higher volatility or vs obviously. I guess something to pay attention to.

#13     Feb 27, 2009
  4. TGM

TGM

What is the actual tick price of the Kospi?

Like 20 bucks US?

#14     Feb 27, 2009
  5. RedDuke

RedDuke

A bit less, with today exchange rate it is about $17.

I am very exited about this market. For those who need to trade US evening hours it is a great option.

I am considering switching to it from trading DAX.

#15     Feb 27, 2009
  6. Great thread for getting Kospi up and running thanks to Red and the others. I have a ? regarding IB and Tick charts/Ninja Trader.

I have the Kospi up and running using NT and IB. I was trying to get tick charts up but I am guessing that IB wont back fill tick charts, is this correct? (Also I am guessing that the way IB gathers its data, that the ticks wont actually be as accurate as a Zen feed for instance..??)

As far as the data goes on IB it looks like one minute is about as low as it goes as sub one minute charts (30 sec charts for instance) basically act like tick charts. They can be loaded up no back data is loaded.

If anyone knows different please post.

Thanks in advance,

Billy

#16     Mar 1, 2009
  7. IB backfills data down to a 5 second increment (actually it might be 1 but 5 seconds is as low as Sierra Chart has been set up to go). A lot of products don't go lower than 30 seconds.

Correct that the tick data is not true tick ... a maximum of about 1 tick every 100ms (100-200 depends on exchange I think). Quite useful despite that though.

#17     Mar 2, 2009
  8. jfilla

jfilla

RedDuke,

I trade 5-10 lots on this contract. I always use limit orders, so I dont have any slippage, but I never have a problem getting filled. Its a really nice contract to trade in the afternoons. It starts @ 6.00pm cst and ends @ 12.05 cst.

If you like trading the es or nq, then you will like trading this contract. Its very institutional, and moves as such. I will say its not as friendly as some of the other contracts(HSI, STW). This contract likes to run a while with little pullback, and then basically retrace back to where it started. You need to honor your stops/rules or you will lose money quick. The other thing to be aware of is that the bids/asks can get pulled very quickly and 1 or 2 contracts can move a trade right through a listed 150/200 lots. Im not sure if this is part of the way this contract trades or just a function of lag from IB not refreshing the DOM quick info. Either way, it can be fun to watch 40-50 contracts move the market 10 ticks.(especially if you're on the wrong side)

Good luck.

#18     Mar 2, 2009
  9. RedDuke

RedDuke

Hi Jfilla,

Thanks a lot for this info. I trade with market orders, and once I up the size would be interesting to see how many I can trade without slippage.

Are there any regular news besides the ones mentioned earlier that make this market volatile?

Thanks,
    redduke

#19     Mar 2, 2009
  10. http://eng.krx.co.kr/sns/sta/sta_l_098.jsp

Market moving events :

"South Korean shares tumbled Friday, well on course to end in the end for a fifth straight trading session as worries about the health of the global economy and a weakening local currency hit shipbuilders and financials hard.

In a note to clients, HSBC strategist Gary Evans wrote that among emerging economies in Asia, South Korea looks most vulnerable, because of its high short-term external debt, and the country's high gross public sector debt.
    "We don't believe that Korea will face a situation of the magnitude of the Asia crisis again this year. But its banks and currency clearly do look vulnerable, and there may be limits on how much the government can spend to offset the economic slowdown given its debt position," Evans added.

#20     Mar 2, 2009